Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 05:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Lighted Door Sills.... Long and informative install with pics!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:40 PM
mark692

Thanks for the great info. This is one of my next mods
Old 09-17-2014, 08:03 PM
partspainted

Very informative guide thanks for this!
Old 11-22-2014, 11:59 PM
SonicGTC_05

Great instructional thread for those who could use some photos & explanations!!

I do agree w/leaving the socket on the battery. I usually will put up on the cowl or on the radiator cover once I have the terminal off! Everyone will do what they are comfortable with though!

They now make this with all sayings on them (MUSTANG, MUSTANG GT, FORD RACING, SVT PERFORMANCE, etc.) now. You just have to do searches on the internet for the type you want.

This is one mod that I'm currently looking at installing. I also want to put in some RGB ambient lighting under the dash and in the engine bay.

Just some thoughts here. I have the My Color (IUP (Interior Upgrade Package)) option. Some of asked about tapping into this circuit for these. The issue that I see with this is that they will only light up when your dash lights are on. I thought about just attaching the RGB cables to the dash lights and the power circuit to the dome lighting, but still don't think that this work without the dash on. I'm sure if you got a RGB controller for LED strip lights, you could get it to work if you purchase the RGB style sills. Otherwise the dome light install would be best. CDC has a great installation instruction set online. Here is the link that I have: http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...struct_cdc.pdf

Again, great write-up!!
Old 11-23-2014, 10:29 AM
GT=GettinTan

I did the ambient lighting modification to my '05 GT. It had MyColor, but I chose to ignore it.

Before kits like this were locally available (http://www.homedepot.com/p/ADX-16-4-...uite/205376815), I scouted eBay and found this (http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw...d=360497787501). Adding a roll of LEDs, also from eBay and some double-sided 3M automotive tape and a roll of 4 conductor wire from Radio Shack (I think it was for alarm systems or doorbells) filled out the BOM. For power, I tapped a open lead under the center console. My memory is foggy, but I thought it was for illuminating the automatic transmission indicators. Since my GT was a manual, that lead was free.

The power converter lived in the center console, out of the way of the shifter and invisible to the occupants, then the 4-conductor was snaked through the area under the HVAC/radio and fed to the LED strips. I recall snipping the OEM end off the power lead and replacing it with a generic M/F lead from some auto parts store, so I could easily remove the setup.*

It was much more convenient to slide my finger over the little remote control to pick the right color vs. navigating Ford's MyColor menu.

The best place to put the lights was at the bottom edge of the dash - right where your knees or shins would be. Tape the strips behind that area so the illumination is towards the firewall or towards the floor. The last thing you want to see is those bright LEDs. I recall having to use small zip ties, as well. The same leads were fed to the door sills, driving those.

*This setup did come out of the car before I sold it. The buyer didn't know it was there, so no loss to them. I haven't had the time to put it into my '14, but maybe I'll put it in tonight or tomorrow.

Writing this, I'm genuinely missing my manual transmission. Luckily, I have one in my garage, so I think I'll go for a drive! (never mind the fact that I just got back from a drive)

You know, fellas, we have it good. The world is on fire all around us, people are killing each other, lawlessness can be found at every level of government, our liberties are being stripped at every opportunity, more Americans are out of work or seeking welfare than ever... still, we can be grateful we aren't in the pitiful situation of being Chevy owners. It's no wonder their cars look angry.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:33 AM
SonicGTC_05

Originally Posted by GT=GettinTan
You know, fellas, we have it good. The world is on fire all around us, people are killing each other, lawlessness can be found at every level of government, our liberties are being stripped at every opportunity, more Americans are out of work or seeking welfare than ever... still, we can be grateful we aren't in the pitiful situation of being Chevy owners. It's no wonder their cars look angry.
This was the best part of your post! Love it!

Thanks for that other install info too!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:52 PM
jerrytubes

Since I'm not techy, I'm glad mine already has them!
Old 07-22-2015, 09:39 PM
GT=GettinTan

Originally Posted by jerrytubes
Since I'm not techy, I'm glad mine already has them!
Consider reading Pirsig's, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."
Old 08-30-2015, 04:32 PM
bbull3t

HELP....I bought these sills from somebody and they already have a connector on them....I know I have to buy the black and red wire but how do I go about connecting the wires to this....
Old 08-30-2015, 07:24 PM
VGMStudios

Since you have a 2007 car, like mine you cannot use the my color option.
So what I did was, I chose a color that I wanted, found the wires that produced this color, cut that connector off and soldered the wires to a power source.

Make sense?
Old 08-31-2015, 05:28 AM
GT=GettinTan

Default Solder or replace the connector

Soldering the wires together is a great, reliable option. Be sure to use heat shrink tubing to insulate the connection (put the tubing on first, solder, slide the tubing down, heat it up). You could use electrical tape, but that usually looks sloppy.

Yes, it matters, even though no one can see it under the carpet.

You can also pick up connectors at any auto supply store. You'd snip off the OEM connector and use the new one. Make sure you buy two sets of male/female connectors. Depending on the connector type, you might also have to pick up a crimping tool.

Quick Reply: Lighted Door Sills.... Long and informative install with pics!