Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI - BG 44K - Fuel Additive

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 02:13 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default FYI - BG 44K - Fuel Additive

I have an '05 GT with 82k and it runs and feels great. Been wondering about the plugs for quite some time. I have and had no intention of doing the plugs myself. Given the stories I have read here.

Long story short, my younger brother is a car buff of some forty years plus. He's had more than fifty cars, am likely more towards eighty. He gets one he likes, plays with it, fixes it, repairs it, but, if someone says he want to buy it for the right price, he sells it. Anyway his current working life means he has found a wrench that he trusts big time, and the fellow has not let him down on quite a few fixes from minor to major on Mark's constantly changing vehicle inventory.

So yesterday I asked Barry about my plugs. He said not to do it! One it runs just fine, two, it is 18k short of 100k mark Ford puts on the plugs. He swears by this "BG 44K" fuel additive. Pointed out one of his rides with a bit over 400k on it, says he doses it every six months and its been 200k or more since last he had an issue with it.

So, I ordered a two pack from Amazon last night. Going to feed my Subaru and GT when I get it. I did tell Barry that I ran/run various fuel cleaners over the years, he says BG product kicks butt, the others don't. I did read through several reviews on line, and the summation was that this BG stuff walks on water, is a miracle. So, guess I'll give it a shot. FWIW
Old 04-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I only use 1 fuel system cleaner, Chevron Techron-period.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:52 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I only use 1 fuel system cleaner, Chevron Techron-period.
take a look at https://toptiergas.com for an interesting read.

Back in the 80's I was heavily into BMW, had a heavily modified BMW for "road racing" which in my case meant exhilarating driving most weekends in the Santa Cruz Mountains, of California, the backroads north of San Francisco Bay, and the Sierra. Back then BMW sold "Techron" in their parts department. Then they found out when it was not eating the bad stuff in your engine, it dined on the engine itself. They stopped selling it at BMW dealers. I'm guessing the Techron sold at auto parts stores is of a different mix. But, when they still had Chevron here in NC I figured that was enough.

Another thing, we used to have "Tech Sessions" with various car people/business types. Had one during the transition from leaded to unleaded fuels. Chevron engineers brought goodies to a meeting. You know why the went to unleaded. Did you know that the stuff they put in the fuel to eat the lead deposits, ate your car when it could not get enough of the lead? That's why your exhaust system lasts practically forever these days. Chevron brought charts, studies, and videos to show that issue for the attendees. FYI

In my case my BMW could run either or. I ran leaded until I couldn't. First 100k or so miles I replaced rear exhaust sections several times. Last 170k, not at all.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have used Techron for many years in both mine and my wife's cars. Not a single problem with either.