Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The "I have a question about my sync" and "tips and tricks about sync" thread

Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 AM
sharpshaun91
1st Gear Member

Hi all....just got my 2010 GT a week or so ago and while I have figured out how to get my Sansa Fuze to play with the USB sync (thanks to this thread), I can't seem to get it to recognize the 8gb epandable micro sd card that's in it, it's only recognizing internal memory of my Sansa and not the external memory. Am I s.o.l. or is there another special trick to getting this to work?

Also, not sure if anybody else has had this issue, and it has only happened a couple times, but I leave my Sansa player hooked up with the USB in my car and it seems like if I don't give it enough time or even to short of time after turning my car off, like making a stop at the grocery store for something quick. I'll come out to my car, start it, and it has locked up my Sansa player and Sync itself is also locked up, I mean the talk button on my stearing wheel won't even work, I can press it and nothing. I have to turn the car back off unplug my Sansa player and start the car back up to get Sync to work again. However, if I leave it hooked up and turn off my car for an extended period like while I'm at work or whatever, it seems to work fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sharpshaun91
Hi all....just got my 2010 GT a week or so ago and while I have figured out how to get my Sansa Fuze to play with the USB sync (thanks to this thread), I can't seem to get it to recognize the 8gb epandable micro sd card that's in it, it's only recognizing internal memory of my Sansa and not the external memory. Am I s.o.l. or is there another special trick to getting this to work?

Also, not sure if anybody else has had this issue, and it has only happened a couple times, but I leave my Sansa player hooked up with the USB in my car and it seems like if I don't give it enough time or even to short of time after turning my car off, like making a stop at the grocery store for something quick. I'll come out to my car, start it, and it has locked up my Sansa player and Sync itself is also locked up, I mean the talk button on my stearing wheel won't even work, I can press it and nothing. I have to turn the car back off unplug my Sansa player and start the car back up to get Sync to work again. However, if I leave it hooked up and turn off my car for an extended period like while I'm at work or whatever, it seems to work fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
My focus did this sometimes, I think you can download the most recent sync update to a disc and pop it in, or just stop by your dealer and ask for an update. It solved all the issues with my focus, and its never happened in my 2011 mustang.

Since this thread got revived, a good tip is to use a thumbdrive to leave in your car rather than constantly charging and discharging an ipod or other mp3 player. I just have a 16gb drive that I leave in my car, that I only take out to add more music to.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:06 AM
sharpshaun91
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
My focus did this sometimes, I think you can download the most recent sync update to a disc and pop it in, or just stop by your dealer and ask for an update. It solved all the issues with my focus, and its never happened in my 2011 mustang.

Since this thread got revived, a good tip is to use a thumbdrive to leave in your car rather than constantly charging and discharging an ipod or other mp3 player. I just have a 16gb drive that I leave in my car, that I only take out to add more music to.
I did just do a sync update a day or so ago but I haven't really used my player since then to really test it yet. I'll check that out.

I'm already looking into getting a dedicated drive just for that reason, and I'm sure that would eliminate all my problems. But I'm also the kind of guy that wants to know why something isn't working right when I think it should.

What kind of drive do you use? The one I used for my update is too small for music it's only like 4gb, I need at least 16gb, or would an external hard drive with like 500gb work?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Nikodemos

Originally Posted by sharpshaun91
What kind of drive do you use? The one I used for my update is too small for music it's only like 4gb, I need at least 16gb, or would an external hard drive with like 500gb work?
Depends on the drive. Some require an extra power source, like this one. The more music that's on it, the longer it'll take to index it. Of course, as long as you leave it hooked up it should only need to index it once. Also, the drive needs to be formatted in FAT32, not NTFS.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:47 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

I just use a 16gb thumbdrive, I bought it 2 years ago for $25, so I'm sure you could get better now.

Personally I wouldn't use a platter harddrive because unless its in a shock absorbing case I'm not sure how long it would last.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 AM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

I like the idea of the thumb drive instead of my IPOD. Is there anyway to get all the music on the drive? I have ITunes music I've ripped from CD, and songs I've downloaded from Apple, etc. There are plenty of inexpensive thumb drives these days.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:16 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

ya...you go to your music folder on your computer, drag and drop it on your thumb drive, plug the thumb drive in your car. It helps to make sure all the id3 tags are right so all the music is sorted correctly in sync.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
ya...you go to your music folder on your computer, drag and drop it on your thumb drive, plug the thumb drive in your car. It helps to make sure all the id3 tags are right so all the music is sorted correctly in sync.
You can also drag and drop into your thumb drive while in iTunes. For example, create a playlist in iTunes.. or select songs from your main library, and drag the highlighted songs onto your drive.

I have a dumb question.. How do you hang up/end a phone call?

My "setup".. I have a 2nd gen iPod touch velcro'd to the inside of my center console.. plugged in all the time. I also have an iPhone 4, which I use for hands-free calling.

I could just stream the music from the iPhone, but there is a 2 second delay when manually skipping through songs.

Also, how can I get it to say "Hello Michael" in a Night Rider voice when I turn on the car
Old 10-29-2010, 02:45 PM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the drag and drop info.

The hang up button (a small telephone handest symbol) on my 2010 is on the steering wheel below the voice command button. I believe you press it to answer the call, and then hold it again to terminate the call. It has both pictures and looks like a toggle left or right, but if I recall it's a single button you use for both functions.

I'm sure the Night Rider thing is possible with the right amount of $$$$$... good luck on that one
Old 10-29-2010, 02:46 PM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

You hang up by holding the phone button down on the steering wheel until it ends the call.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The "I have a question about my sync" and "tips and tricks about sync" thread