Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drain some brake fluid before replacing pads?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

C-clamp for pistons that simply need to get pushed back into their bore.

Needle nose with pressure will work on pistons that need to be screwed back down, though it can be a little tricky. Universal tools are really only "sort of" universal and may not fit exactly right.

It is NEVER a good idea to push the brake fluid that has lived in the calipers back up the lines even if you don't have ABS. But it's more critical to avoid doing this if ABS is present, since you absolutely want to keep the crud that tends to collect in the wheel cylinders from getting into the ABS. I'm sure that there's an article over on brakeandfrontend.com with more tech concerning this.

Norm
Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 PM
satguy
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info and those pics. Got to do my brakes this comming spring.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:12 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

Needle nose with pressure will work on pistons that need to be screwed back down, though it can be a little tricky. Universal tools are really only "sort of" universal and may not fit exactly right.

It is NEVER a good idea to push the brake fluid that has lived in the calipers back up the lines even if you don't have ABS. But it's more critical to avoid doing this if ABS is present, since you absolutely want to keep the crud that tends to collect in the wheel cylinders from getting into the ABS. I'm sure that there's an article over on brakeandfrontend.com with more tech concerning this.

Norm
These are all good suggestions, but if it were so critical to the ABS, I would think the Ford shop manual would have included a warning or advisory to loosen the bleed screw when resetting the caliper piston.

I've done several brake jobs on ABS equipped vehicles following repair manual procedures and never came across this information.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:33 AM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
I open the bleeder screw personally. And I compress the front pistons with a bigass pair of channel locks.
I open them as well. It's easier to compress the pistons, less of a chance for overflow. You really don't lose much fluid doin git this way. I also stick a piece of rubber hose (I think it was 1/4", but I don't remember) and let it drain into a catch pan, as this prevents any mess on the hands and car.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:23 AM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means it readily absorbs water from the air, which we don't want because this lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid, which can cause a loss of brakes. Water inside the brake system can also cause critical and expensive brake components to corrode and need replacement For this reason, it might not be wise to leave the master cylinder cap off for any longer than absolutely necessary. Simply removing 1/2 of the brake fluid in the master cylinder reservoir, (a turkey baster works fine for this), and then reinstalling the master cylinder cap will more than allow for expansion from the new brake pads. When the brake job is complete, check the master cylinder brake fluid level and adjust as needed. For safety, Ford recommends replacing brake the brake fluid every 36,000 miles or every time the brake pads are changed.

Here is an article that will tell you more about brake fluid being hygroscopic -

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/tec...rakefluid.html

Below is an article that will also tell you more about this very important topic and Ford's recommendations regarding brake fluid replacement intervals. Unfortunately, brake fluid tends to be the most neglected fluid in a vehicle by the motorist and yet it is more important than any other fluid in the vehicle because it can lead to brake failure when neglected -

http://www.aa1car.com/library/bfluid.htm

Last edited by RogerDodger1; 12-08-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:11 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson

Norm
You might want to mention for the newbies out
there that the rear calipers dont simply push in
with a C-Clamp.
You have to TWIST them back in.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:43 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

This is why Im intimidated of doing my own brakes.... but now Im worried about a shop messing them up!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

157 - I figured that that point had been covered enough, complete with the picture of the sort-of-universal tool.

But I guess if you see anything that looks like slots in the pistons, plan on twisting the things in. And if you try a C-clamp anyway and it doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere, guess what??? Never mind how I might have discovered this.

Norm
Old 12-08-2009, 12:50 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VRFlip
This is why Im intimidated of doing my own brakes.... but now Im worried about a shop messing them up!
No need to be intimidated. Once you learn how you can do a front brake job in 20 minutes easy. Its not really a big deal.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
No need to be intimidated. Once you learn how you can do a front brake job in 20 minutes easy. Its not really a big deal.
How do we turn rotors, lubricate caliper slides, change brake fluid and install new brake pads in only 20 minutes...or are you suggesting just doing a pad-slap in 20 minutes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drain some brake fluid before replacing pads?