Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I Getting Hosed by the Dealership?

Old 12-08-2009, 01:04 PM
kingofsting

Default Am I Getting Hosed by the Dealership?

already know that I'm getting jerked around. I just wanted to see how you guys think I should handle the situation. First, some background. In January my fuel gauge stopped working; initially I was told that they thought my self installed sound system was related to the error. Turns out it was a busted motor in the cluster but it still cost about $300 to see if the system had an effect or not. In may and June I went through a three or four week ordeal because my car was leaking fluids. The first trip for that cost about $1000; two subsequent trips to correct the problem cost about $500 and that was after I went off on the service manager. Also I got a six month guarantee for the work done in writing. Flash forward to the day before Thanksgiving. I brought my car in for a screech at start up followed by a whistle in the engine bay. I had them do the 95000 mile service according to the owners manual. I was assured the problem was fixed and the $1000+ bill was paid. The next day the noise returned so I brought the car in yesterday. Apparently the screech is my starter rubbing against the flywheel so now they are replacing the starter as I type this. Also a hockey puck looking thing with a donut hole was identified as the source of the whistling and thus replaced. I was told that the repairs would cost just under $500. I told the rep to do it but I have no intention of paying because I feel like I'm being screwed especially since the dealership is independently owned and operated. The only problem is, my father pays for this stuff (I'm a broke college kid!) and he's more passive than my mother and I. I feel terrible because I don't want to see my father being taken advantage of, so ill be going to get the car with him even though I've for class. I am fully prepared to leave my car out of principle if the bill is not nullified; am I being irrational? Do I have any other recourse short of the BBB?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:05 PM
kingofsting

The car is 05 V6 the dealership is Dana Ford Lincoln Mercury in Staten Island, NY. They became the only game iin town after Island Ford shut down last year

heres what was done last week:

Complaint: C S screeching noise when starting check belts.
Correction: VERIFIED CONCERN, REPLACE BELT AND TENSIONER

Complaint:Check spark plugs for possible change (service manual says to change em at 100k, which im close to)
Correction: replace spark plugs and ignition wires (apparently they were burning out)

Also; replacement of oil, fuel and air filters, oil change, and cleaning service for fuel injectors and throttle body.

Total: 1218.43, reduced to 1091.02 because they love us so much
Old 12-08-2009, 01:08 PM
kingofsting

Also heres the ordeal I went through from May to July, not June as I previously thought:

5-1-09
Complaint: Vehicle towed in, customer states vehicle has a power steering fluid leak. a lot of smoke coming from under the hood (it was bad!!)
Correction: Unable to verify Power steering leak but found antifreeze leaking from thermostat housing. Removed and replaced thermostat housing and gasket as needed. Road Tested OK
Parts Needed: Housing-Thermostat O Ring
Thermostat Assy Anti-Freeze
Gasket
Also, i had new rear brakes put on, the lower control arms and ball joints were removed and replaced due to excessive wear and my alternator was replaced due to a noise coming from an internal bearing on alternator
Total:$1116.31, with $1030 ESP deductible.

6-16-09
Complaint: customer states coolant is leaking
Correction: PRESSURE TEST SYSTEM - REPLACE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR; TOP OFF COOLANT AND BLEED SYSTEM
Labor: $50.00 Parts: $49.36

Total: $107.69 (also some unrelated work was done by my request, including a $100 charge for an inspection that couldnt be done because of my tune bringing the bill too $497.86)

6-26-09
Complaint: Customer states vehicle has a antifreeze leak - 3RD TIME VISIT
Correction: UNABLE TO VERIFY CONCERN. PERFORMED PRESSURE TEST. PASSED. LET VEHICLE WARM UP, NO LEAKS FOUND. NO PROBLEM FOUND AT THIS TIME.
Labor: $120

Also, the oil change was done and the inspection was done @ $120, but I made the dealership split the bill.

Total: $77.26

7-1-09
Complaint: Customer states vehicle has a antifreeze leak - see history attached
Correction: UNABLE TO VERIFY COOLANT LEAK BUT FOUND GREEN AC DYE LEAKING FROM CONDENSER. LINE GOT RUSTED AND DYE IS LEAKING THROUGH O RING. REMOVED AND REPLACED CONDENSER AND RELATED PARTS. RECOVERED SYSTEM AS NEEDED. ROAD TESTED OK
Parts Needed: Condenser Assy Refrigerant - R-134A
Tube Assy
Labor: $250.00 Parts: 184.25

Total: $470.63 with a handwritten 6 month guarantee from the service manager.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

how many miles on the car at the moment?

A lot of the cost could be avoided by doing the work yourself. Parts are cheap and it's just a matter of a little time to get things done.

So far, I haven't seen any repairs that could not have been performed by you (except for the cluster one, dashes are a paid.)

That last bill would've only cost you 200-250 if you would've done it yourself. Fluid leaks, really depends on what caused; Radiator hoses, easy, trans filter pan, easy, Engine or Trany seals I would consider moderate to difficult for a noobie. Rear tranny seal is easy.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by kingofsting
Also heres the ordeal I went through from May to July, not June as I previously thought:

5-1-09
Complaint: Vehicle towed in, customer states vehicle has a power steering fluid leak. a lot of smoke coming from under the hood (it was bad!!)
Correction: Unable to verify Power steering leak but found antifreeze leaking from thermostat housing. Removed and replaced thermostat housing and gasket as needed. Road Tested OK
Parts Needed: Housing-Thermostat O Ring
Thermostat Assy Anti-Freeze
Gasket
Also, i had new rear brakes put on, the lower control arms and ball joints were removed and replaced due to excessive wear and my alternator was replaced due to a noise coming from an internal bearing on alternator
Total:$1116.31, with $1030 ESP deductible.

6-16-09
Complaint: customer states coolant is leaking
Correction: PRESSURE TEST SYSTEM - REPLACE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR; TOP OFF COOLANT AND BLEED SYSTEM
Labor: $50.00 Parts: $49.36

Total: $107.69 (also some unrelated work was done by my request, including a $100 charge for an inspection that couldnt be done because of my tune bringing the bill too $497.86)

6-26-09
Complaint: Customer states vehicle has a antifreeze leak - 3RD TIME VISIT
Correction: UNABLE TO VERIFY CONCERN. PERFORMED PRESSURE TEST. PASSED. LET VEHICLE WARM UP, NO LEAKS FOUND. NO PROBLEM FOUND AT THIS TIME.
Labor: $120

Also, the oil change was done and the inspection was done @ $120, but I made the dealership split the bill.

Total: $77.26

7-1-09
Complaint: Customer states vehicle has a antifreeze leak - see history attached
Correction: UNABLE TO VERIFY COOLANT LEAK BUT FOUND GREEN AC DYE LEAKING FROM CONDENSER. LINE GOT RUSTED AND DYE IS LEAKING THROUGH O RING. REMOVED AND REPLACED CONDENSER AND RELATED PARTS. RECOVERED SYSTEM AS NEEDED. ROAD TESTED OK
Parts Needed: Condenser Assy Refrigerant - R-134A
Tube Assy
Labor: $250.00 Parts: 184.25

Total: $470.63 with a handwritten 6 month guarantee from the service manager.
Wow, that's a lot of work. Cost of which could be avoided by learning to do some of this stuff yourself and learning a little about cars. Cars, computers, and basic home DIY is something EVERY person should invest some time into. It will save you a ton of money over time. Your case is unfortuneately a perfect example.

Find a reputable local shop and start going there. The dealership is the best in terms of knowledge for Ford specifically but most problems are not car specific.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:29 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

I don't understand why replacing the thermostat was a $1,000 job. Is it REALLY hard to get to compared to a Honda?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:47 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I really think you should take your car to another dealer. You may want to get in touch with the District Manager for Ford and complain about the lack of quality done at that dealership. Let him know how many times you have taken your car there and how much you have spent.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Pony123
2nd Gear Member

STOP TAKING CARS TO A DEALER!!! GO AROUND CHEKC OUT SOME MECHANICS THEN COMPARE PRICES
Old 12-08-2009, 02:07 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pony123
STOP TAKING CARS TO A DEALER!!! GO AROUND CHEKC OUT SOME MECHANICS THEN COMPARE PRICES
This is true since he is out of warranty. Ford mechanics do get paid much more than some of the other local auto shops.
However, he should still contact a Ford Representative and let them know what has been going on.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

If your car is out of warrenty, and you don't feel experienced enough to do the work yourself, then you need to shop around for a reputable indipendent shop. The prices the dealer is charging you is to much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I Getting Hosed by the Dealership?