Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paintless dent repair or repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:53 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Guys, it's in the trunk area or close enough...
No double wall there, just get the flimsy liner out of the way and let the man work his long rod there.
Oh no, did I say that!?!?
I just took a closer look inside the trunk with the liner out of the way and I could see the little bump from the dent. I can barely reach it with my hand and feel the dent. It's a tight fit in there, and like you said, a PDR guy with a long rod that knows how to work the area should be able to get er done.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Mark25
1st Gear Member

An experienced PDR guy will not have any problems getting that one out...I've used the same PDR guy for the past 13 years. Where there's a will there's a way! As stated earlier you may have to live with a small rubber stopper underneath after he gains access to the dent and repairs it, but it will not be noticeable.
That is a really perfectly shaped dimple...must have been some kind of a tool...even could have been the tip of an umbrella...never know.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:18 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
I just took a closer look inside the trunk with the liner out of the way and I could see the little bump from the dent. I can barely reach it with my hand and feel the dent. It's a tight fit in there, and like you said, a PDR guy with a long rod that knows how to work the area should be able to get er done.
Told ya!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 AM
illini4
1st Gear Member

Default PDR

I had a PDR done on my 07 GT in about the same area (Dent Wizard, Columbus, OH). I know the tech after having been there many times. He told me that he would work it out from the outside of the panel. That's the first time I had heard of that, but the repair was perfect as usual.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Redfire_07
2nd Gear Member

looks almost like your car was shot with an airsoft pellet
Old 12-13-2009, 12:25 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mark25
An experienced PDR guy will not have any problems getting that one out...I've used the same PDR guy for the past 13 years. Where there's a will there's a way! As stated earlier you may have to live with a small rubber stopper underneath after he gains access to the dent and repairs it, but it will not be noticeable.
That is a really perfectly shaped dimple...must have been some kind of a tool...even could have been the tip of an umbrella...never know.
I was thinking it might've been the bottom corner of a door from a SUV or van and it's probably the rear passenger door of that vehicle, but like you said, ya never know.

Originally Posted by illini4
I had a PDR done on my 07 GT in about the same area (Dent Wizard, Columbus, OH). I know the tech after having been there many times. He told me that he would work it out from the outside of the panel. That's the first time I had heard of that, but the repair was perfect as usual.
That's interesting. I would've liked to see how PDR is done from the outside of a panel.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:46 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by illini4
From the outside eh? Did you watch him do it?
I call BS on that, unless it's on a flat panel and a rather large dent like tennis ball size or bigger where suction cups can hold it firmly enough.
Or if that dent is a reverse one, from objects in the trunk banging around into the quarter panels making a dent outward.

Last edited by pascal; 12-13-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:40 AM
illini4
1st Gear Member

I didn't watch - they keep their work/techniques out of sight.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Crazy Stallion
1st Gear Member

2007CalSpec, did you ever get the PDR done?
Old 12-24-2009, 07:58 PM
ryan4096

I had a dent in the exact same spot on my car (rear fender above the wheel) bigger than your dent. One of the kids (no one will fess up to it) whacked it with a bike.

No paint on my car was damaged, no scratch at all, just a dent.

Paintless Dent Removal Guy removed it -PERFECTLY-. Definitely do that before you try anything else, call around and get someone that others have used and have been really happy with. It's an art.

How they get to those hard places is sometimes they will drill a VERY little hole on the inside fender so they can get leverage to push the dent back out. I was too nervous to stick around for the whole removal and really didn't feel like crowding the guy but he also attached with suction cups two mirrors at different angles so he could look at the dent in all directions to make sure it was completely removed.

and ... since I @#%#@% hit my own car with a Ron PoPeil roaster in a fluke when throwing it away ... I have another much tinier area on my front fender to get removed. My wife thinks I'm insane, she can't see the dent ... but I can, go figure. :-)

Make sure you do it in full lighting, it'll be needed to get it removed. Also, any dent guy worth anything will definitely 'try again' if you find they didn't do it quite right the first time. In my case, totally unnecessary, perfect the first time and should be (hence the guarantee.)

Quick Reply: Paintless dent repair or repaint?