Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sell my shorties or keep them?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default Sell my shorties or keep them?

My car is stock performance wise but im hoping to change that soon. I picked up some shorties from a member here for $80 shipped (new BBK chrome).
Although i would feel a little bad turning a profit, ive been considering selling them and getting a cai/tuner instead or putting it towards long tubes.

Any insight as to what i should do? I know i should get a cai and tuner first but $80 is a killer deal for some headers. I just dont know if i will ever regret not getting LTs or if ill even have a chance to get them in the future...
Old 12-16-2009, 01:28 AM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

I don't have any personal experience with shorties, but from what I've heard, they provide minimal power gains, hardly noticeable on the butt-dyno. If you're looking for a different sound, the shorties do alter the sound some. Another thing to consider is the fact that, if you do get LTs, I do believe a tune is, if not required, highly recommended, so you may benefit in the long run by just getting the CAI and tuner.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Depends on your emissions laws. I'd have a tough time passing with LT's, so I went with shorties.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

as mentioned, the big thing between shorties and lt's is power, but also sound. the lt headers will be louder and more 'assertive' (since the cats are gone), and the shorties will give a little louder, 'smoothed out' tone. but, overall, if power is what you want, the lt's are the better choice.

out of curiosity, do you have a figure you'd like to see for the shorties?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:17 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

Get a tune, now!

Go go go!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:31 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

sHORTIES WONT DO MUCH IF YOU ARE FAIRLY STOCK. lONG TUBES MAKE NOTICABLE. bUT BEFORE HEADERS, YOU CANDO CAI & TUNE AND/OR GEARS FOR A much more noticable gain and do those extras later. Let me know what you want to do with the shorties.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:38 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Do you want to run cats or no-cats, and how do you drive it? Supposedly shorties provide more torque in the low to mid range while long tubes produce a better peak HP. IMO, this means shorties are better suited to daily drivers and long tubes are better suited for track stars and dyno queens.

That being said, I don't buy into the argument that long tubes produce that much more power than the shorties. I believe the bulk of the power gain comes from a better flowing mid-pipe and high flow cats or cat delete. All else being equal, I would like to see the difference between shorty headers with O/R midpipe and long tubes with O/R midpipe.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:40 PM
05fastblk
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Mellow,I did CAI and tune along with gears and its night and day as far as performance. Get the best bang for your buck first!

Unless you are doing the install on your own, then 80 bucks for those shorties is good. The next mod should be a good cai/tune combo and that will really wake up that pony

Last edited by 05fastblk; 12-16-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:48 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Don't really need the CAI to get a huge difference from the tune. But if you've got an extra $200 to spend, might as well get the intake.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeno
out of curiosity, do you have a figure you'd like to see for the shorties?
I listed them on craiglist for 275 just to see if anyone would be interested and i had an email less then an hour after i posted (at 4 im the morning at that).
I think if i can get in the 250 range i will sell them if not i will save a bit longer for a cai/tuner and just have all three

Quick Reply: Sell my shorties or keep them?