Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 02:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Mustang won't start, padlock flashing...help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:09 AM
gipht1
2nd Gear Member

I just got tunes from tillman speed and this exact same symbol popped up on my dash after I installed it! never seen it before AND the car starts fine. Only thing I found odd besides the light was that my rpm's dropped below 0 and right back up to 400 or so while tha car was OFF?Im wondering if this is a norm glitch with tunes or what? Ima give CR a call tomorrow to see wassup? as off today my cars starts though, so im sure its a diff problem then what occured to you TC.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Burrosito
2nd Gear Member

Have you checked your alternator? Anyone think the same?

I only say this because this happened to me a year ago. Same symbol showed up, nothing worked. Got a new battery and the car worked fine for 3 or 4 weeks, then died again. Had the alternator replaced and the battery recharged and she's been running great since.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:05 PM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, seriously. I have my Mustang sitting in my garage for 3 months and it started up no problem first time two years in a row.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:20 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

It does sound like an alternator issue. Once you get it replaced and your battery charged, make sure you turn everything off, like heater, radio etc. before you turn your ignition off during daily usage.

Keep us posted and let us know if it was the alternator.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Redsox401
2nd Gear Member

if you have an aftermarket radio make sure its wired correctly, my wife had one in her truck when she bought it used and one of the wires shorted out and it would empty the battery in 14 hrs unless she started it. i would bet there is a short somewhere that is draining the batt. overnight. the stealership should be able to test your electrical system to see what is drawing off the battery when the car is off.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

I don't have a custom stereo yet... The only aftermarket electrical item I have is my chase/sequential tail lights. It has 1 wire that plugs into in the fuse box under the glove compartment that is "supposed" to be on only with the ignition. I've had it for 5 months with no issues till now.

I'll be checking that tonight... one way or another.

I guess I'll have the alternator tested, too.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I already had the battery replaced in my stang. 08 with 15K miles on it, started slow turning in the morning, I took it to the dealer before it completely died. They ran a test on their Ford Tester and got a DTC that indicated bad battery. Replaced at no charge.

It had been through ONE summer in AZ. I hope this is not an annual occurence
Old 01-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The battery problem with these cars can be pretty random. It isn't necessarily a bad alternator although it should be checked if it keeps coming up.

Mine sat for a week one time and was dead. Another time it sat for 3 days. It's also sat there for over a month and been fine.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
The battery problem with these cars can be pretty random. It isn't necessarily a bad alternator although it should be checked if it keeps coming up.

Mine sat for a week one time and was dead. Another time it sat for 3 days. It's also sat there for over a month and been fine.

Exactly the same here.
Last year before winter storage it had a brand new Interstate battery a few weeks before storage. It was stone dead when I went to get her out. I warrantied that battery and put a brand new one in, Batteries lose their effectiveness after a full discharge. And because I could, lol.
This year I just took the neg. terminal off the battery, we will see what happens in 2 months from now.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:24 PM
red 60

Question 2006 mustang gt

when u try to crank it if security light flashes slowly it starts blinks fast wont start how do i fix it so it will crank every
time?

Quick Reply: Mustang won't start, padlock flashing...help needed.