Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fishtailed in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:40 PM
light speed
1st Gear Member

Default fishtailed in the rain

i just fishtailed in the rain. it was wet, the tires are a little worn and not made for rain, and i took a turn going fast and didnt slow down (very stupid to do). i swerved like twice and went over the island curb in the middle of the road. luckily the curb was a little lower than most are and sort of slanted so it was a better curb. only the 2 front tires went over the curb.

nothing looked damaged from the outside and the stang was driving fine. im just curious if going over one of those things at about 15 mph could have damaged anything i wouldnt know about like the axel or control arm things, and how to see if these parts are not damaged? maybe i should get it inspected to be completely safe

Last edited by light speed; 01-16-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Perhaps nothing more than your dignity. As long as the car is tracking true, not vibrating, pulling and making any type of harmonic noise from the frontend you're probably ok.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:43 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

and you didnt **** up your rims?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:43 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i doubt you damaged anything. the next
time you are under your car, look around
to see if there are any scrape marks.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:44 PM
light speed
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by david01130
and you didnt **** up your rims?
i went over the curb sideways, the tires look like the got most of it

actually i forgot to mention some of the tires looked like they were coming out a little "where the rim and the tire meet" idk if this was caused by the resistance of the swerving or if it was already there before and i never noticed
Old 01-16-2010, 11:45 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

+1000

i lost mine after doing very similar heroics
in my own cars....

Originally Posted by Nuke

Perhaps nothing more than your dignity.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:49 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

Sigh, do not, crash, please.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:43 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Perhaps nothing more than your dignity...
talking about dignity, i did the same thing last january on my first date with my girlfriend... i was at a traffic light waiting to go left, and heavily accelerated and the ground was just a little damp from mist/drizzle. i prob wasnt going more then 20??? from what i can remember. and right infront of my girlfriend (back then wasnt) i fishtailed and popped over a curb, just missing a light pole. i broke 2 wheels, my rear axle, control arms, suspension, and driveshaft... im suprised they didnt total it... il tell you, that was the best 550 dollar (deductable) date ive ever been on, cause were still together
Old 01-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Burrosito
2nd Gear Member

Did a similar thing a few months after I got the car. Was in the inside lane turning left and had pole position. It was a fairly wide and long left turn, plus, the road dipped down (slight hill) so I gassed it just a little too much, and lost traction (had the stock tires at the time). Back end went out and I tried to correct, but by then I was just swerving every which way. Ended up in the middle median (which was about 10 foot wide and full of grass). Luckily no damage, and didn't even stall

But with the stock tires, I have fishtailed in the rain a couple times doing a left turn. But I blame myself for inexperience with a high powered vehicle since those times usually happened when I first had the car. Was always able to keep her steady though, so people watching probably thought I was drifting, when in reality in my head I was like "Oh shi Oh shi Oh shi..."
Old 01-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

i went towards a curb sideways once a long time ago when I was younger. Everything seemed fine until someone driving next to me saw the wheel wobble like it wasn't on straight. I'm lucky it didn't fall apart on my trip back home, over an hour away on the highway. I didn't go over the curb, but ended up having to pay a bit for them to fix the axle (if I recall correctly). That was probably 15-18 years ago in my Nissan 200SX

Quick Reply: fishtailed in the rain