Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust is on the way/how much will installation be?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:35 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

Default exhaust is on the way/how much will installation be?

i just ordered my exhaust, it ended up being between the slp loudmouths and pypes muffler deletes, and in the end i chose the muffler deletes. i'm sure alot of people will think i made the wrong decision, but i saw this set up awhile back and i always wanted it. i'm going to have meineke install my exhaust when it comes in next week, and i wanted to know what i should be looking at paying for installation.

thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

You should pay zero. I'm serious. It's harder to change an intertube on a bycycle than the exhaust on the S197.

2 bolts on each side for the main tubing.

2 exhaust hangers on each side.

Take everything off, put eveyrthing on, leave it loose. Adjust to desired position and enjoy.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:56 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

+1. Do it yourself. You don't even need a lift, unless your 400+ pounds and can't fit under the car. You said you saw this set-up a while ago, have you listened to it yet in person?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:03 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

Do it your self if you can tie yoru shoe you can change out mufflers...I think you made a great choice adn once you get sick of these if you o/r get you some m80s and you will be hooked up ! good luck
Old 12-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Yes. Do it yourself. It's really simple to install axlebacks. I don't know why most tutorials out there and most mechanics do the removal of the stock mufflers by loosening the clamps on the pipes and then trying to slide out the mufflers from the rubber hangers. Even the guy I paid did it this way. Trust me, all you have to do is loosen the clamps from the mufflers and unbolt the 3, maybe 4 bolts holding the hangers to the chassis. You need to have some skinny hands to reach the topmost bolts on the upper hangers, but mine reached just fine.

Installing the muffler deletes is even easier. Just slide the rubber hangers into the new mufflers and bolt the hangers back to the chassis. Even easier with muffler deletes since you now have more room to reach the bolts.

I had the SLP Loudmouths installed by a muffler shop, and the guy did it the stupid way like I described. Then I was forced to do the installation myself when I got the LTheaders and the LM's started to sound like crap. I was kicking myself afterward seeing how easy it actually was.

Alignment of the tips are probably the only tricky thing you could face that I can think of...
Old 12-18-2009, 08:39 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gman73
+1. Do it yourself. You don't even need a lift, unless your 400+ pounds and can't fit under the car. You said you saw this set-up a while ago, have you listened to it yet in person?
Hahaha good point on that part. Yeah when I went to orientation for school back in the summer, i saw a mustang with the md's. The guy fired it up in the garage, and it seemed to just echo off of everything, i thought it sounded awesome. I bought mine from american muscle, do you think they are a reliable source? i got a good deal on the md's, $244.99, and no tax/no shipping charges either which is really cool
Old 12-18-2009, 09:56 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

You made a excellent choice I have the same and I love it. But the hangers on the muffler deletes were not right so I cut mine off and the exhaust shop did new hangers for me for $25 but the tips look great and they sound awesome.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:17 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

A 13mm ratcheting box end wrench comes in really handy for removing the hanger bolts, which you have to remove blind
Old 12-18-2009, 10:22 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

mufflers are easy to install on your own. Try installing longtubes....
Old 12-18-2009, 11:10 PM
m5miler
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by boss197
You made a excellent choice I have the same and I love it. But the hangers on the muffler deletes were not right so I cut mine off and the exhaust shop did new hangers for me for $25 but the tips look great and they sound awesome.
sweet, i'll be installing them with my dad next week, he said it shouldn't be too hard, only thing i am worried about is the hangers. hopefully that is easy to work around. how is the sound from the inside of the car?

Quick Reply: exhaust is on the way/how much will installation be?