Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: Clutch, Flywheel, K-Member brace w/limiters. (Video Guide)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 12:13 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

Great writeup JD

Sticky worthy!!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 06:44 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vasman
Good job! You motivated me to order mine! I will be doing the install New Years. Hope the snow eases off so you can test!
Good luck with yours, I hope this info helps you out!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:28 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Good luck with yours, I hope this info helps you out!
Thanks! One question... (there you go have not even started yet..lol) Step 4 Hydraulic Clutch.
Can you explain a bit more about it? What fluid does it use. Do you plug is so it does not drain. I assume this is not transmission fluid. Sorry for my ignorance.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:40 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by vasman
Thanks! One question... (there you go have not even started yet..lol) Step 4 Hydraulic Clutch.
Can you explain a bit more about it? What fluid does it use. Do you plug is so it does not drain. I assume this is not transmission fluid. Sorry for my ignorance.
no problem, its DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid. Goes in your break reservoir. On my car it leaked alot, on this car, it was only a few drops. If you have the cap sealed well I think it draws a vacuum against it or something. On this one I didn't even have to add fluid, on mine I went through about 1/3rd of the tall prestone can.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Looks like you had a much easier time of it than I did... or you edited all of the swearing out of your videos, lol. Great instructions. I wish I had the patience to make step-by-step vids like that.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Looks like you had a much easier time of it than I did... or you edited all of the swearing out of your videos, lol. Great instructions. I wish I had the patience to make step-by-step vids like that.
What it was like....

"you stupid piece of ****! I ****ing hate this stupid car. I want to find the engineer responsible for designing the undercarriage of this car so close to the transmission and kill his/her offspring so this line of thinking doesn't continue...."

... calm and collected... calm and collected..... *Camera turns on*
"Hi guys, in this step....."

Its not all that bad though, and with this being my second transmission I knew what to expect. Thats why I made the video guide this time. Theres some things you cant get from a write up and I was hoping to help out. But I do still have bruises up both forearms... lol. Getting those top transmission bolts is to me one of the hardest things, mostly because I have pretty big arms and trying to squeeze back there is a pain.

Last edited by JDWalton; 12-22-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:18 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

JD -finally was able to change the thread title for you.....great write up with vids....I see a sticky in the near future when I get to a computer that is not so slow (at parents house). Give it ime and I will sticky it in this section sometime this week. thanks and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:02 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

thanks for the title correction mygt500, your the best!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:04 PM
vasman
3rd Gear Member

JD

Got all the parts and making sure I got all the tools. Read the manual regarding clutch bleeding and mentions a specific kit with a vacuum pump. Is this necessary? how did you do it? Thanks a lot. If you do not mind can you pm an email or phone number in case other questions pop up. Thanks a million!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:14 PM
SpeedingBullitt
2nd Gear Member

JDWalton here, at my moms house, doing my pro kit springs ;-)

hey, I bought a brake bleeding kit at autozone that didnt fit, so I Pumped my pedal a bunch and it worked. My moms we havent done anyting with yet. The way the manual says to do it is to draw vaccum on the resevoir, let it hold for a min, then release and repeat a few times. So you can do it without and it will work. You can get a kit and hope it fits the cap, works better. I have also heard of people going to Home Depot or similar store, buying a rubber plug and making the tool fit. I would recomend you make a tool work or find one that fits, but I have driven 2 that do fine from just pumping. The first couple of times your drive it youll be pumping it when you first get into it, but eventualy all the air boubles get out.

Quick Reply: How To: Clutch, Flywheel, K-Member brace w/limiters. (Video Guide)