Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

14" Brembo brake clearance for 18" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Default 14" Brembo brake clearance for 18" wheels

This is a debate thread about wheel spacers. Before we begin this debate it's important for those who do not understand how hard wheels are to find in the 18" size that will clear the 14" Brembo brakes on the GT500. You can find a few different types of 20" wheels, but 18" wheels other than the OEM type are rare. I want to keep 18" wheels on my GT500, and I have a new set removed from a 2008 GT that I want to use. The rears fit fine, but the front require about 7/8" spacer to clear the 14" Brembo brakes. I DO NOT WANT 20" wheels, don't bother suggesting it.

Now, on to the debate.

There are two types of wheel spacers that I am considering.

H&R 1" Hub centric adapter style spacers

or

Mustang Wheel spacers with replacement studs

I would use the 7/8" size if I use the replacement stud type.

Mustang Wheel 7/8" Wheel spacers

The Mustang Wheels Spacers say that the H&R style is the inferior design, and not as strong.

IMO, I believe it's easier/safer to check proper torque specs on the replacement studs style than the adapter style. You don't have to remove the wheel, test the torque on 5 lugs, reinstall the wheel, and re-torque the 5 lugs that hold the wheel to the adapter. You only have to torque the 5 lugs that hold the hub centric spacer AND the wheel. The stronger studs seem to be able to handle the stress.

Remember, this is for the front wheels ONLY, not the rear. The rear wheels bolt directly to the OEM hubs.

Discuss, which ones are safer and more dependable?

Old 11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Without researching it further, I'd feel better using the Mustang Wheel Spacers solely on the basis that you're dealing with 5 lugs only plus it's a more basic, straight forward design.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Without researching it further, I'd feel better using the Mustang Wheel Spacers solely on the basis that you're dealing with 5 lugs only plus it's a more basic, straight forward design.
Nuke, you and I are on the same page. I feel the same way. I think being able to test the torque of 5 lugs is easier than worrying about 10 (per side).
Old 11-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Isn't it going to look a bit weird if you only use spacers in the front and leave the rear all tucked in? Like a Honda Civic on front-mounted M/T's. lol

I was thinking of doing this myself when I was contemplating the idea of a big brake kit using the stock bullit 18's, but I just upgraded the rotors/pads and was satisfied with it.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:23 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
..........I DO NOT WANT 20" wheels, don't bother suggesting it. .............
It's got nothing to do with the rim diameter anyway, so arbitrary recommendations to go with 20's are useless
18's are the minimum you need, but as you've found out, it's only the beginning of the fight.
I was in the same boat as you and it's surprising how many rim shops have no comprehension of the problem. I actually drove to two shops for rim fittings after being assured that they had 18" rims which would work with my Brembos only to get there and have the guys scratch their heads in bewilderment when none did.
Online suppliers are equally useless, most of the online lookup systems don't cover the GT500 and those that do also fail to realise that the brakes are different.
The only way, other than personal recommendations from people who actually have the rims, is to go along to a rim shop and just try them.....

In the end I use 3/8" spacers on the front day-to-day rims to clear the calipers, a comprimise I remain uneasy with. For track days I run GT500 rims, they may be ugly and heavy but they clear the calipers without resorting to spacers or gimpywimpy tuner lug nuts.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

I have the same problem as you I think I'm just going to go a different route as far as braking goes. I have the factory sytle Shelby Torque Thrust wheels and I don't think the brake will fit with those. I really would like to know who has these brakes with 18's and no spacer I haven't ran across this yet.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
Isn't it going to look a bit weird if you only use spacers in the front and leave the rear all tucked in? Like a Honda Civic on front-mounted M/T's.
Not at all. The rear wheels I want to run have an aggressive offset and almost bulge out of the wheel well. The spacer in the front would help to even the look.

Marcus, you know exactly the battle I have taken on, and I knew the diameter plays no role in fitment. It's all about the face design. Although, I added the comment about 20" wheels because they are easy to find for the GT500, unlike 18". Thanks for the reply.