MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Help with Wiring! Homelink install almost complete (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/578257-help-with-wiring-homelink-install-almost-complete.html)

wbk_viper 12-20-2009 07:28 PM

Help with Wiring! Homelink install almost complete

So I'm almost done with my aftermarket homelink install. I read the sticky but want to make sure I wire this right.

The homelink unit has 2 green striped and 2 black wires coming off it. Do I need to wire all 4 wires or just 2 of them? I'm assuming I only use 2.

Do I wire both green and both black wires to the existing wiring? OR just 1 green and 1 black?

Does it matter which wires I connect them too in the map light console? or as long as a green goes to green and a black to black will I be ok?

I just don't know which wires to tap into.

wbk_viper 12-20-2009 08:00 PM

I just guessed. Ha ha. And I think I got it right. Green/orange stripe to green. Black, to black. 2 wires only.

It works great. My favorite mod so far because it feels so usefull vs. the cost.

The only thing I wish I could do over is glueing the face plate on. I got some epoxy on it. The plastic wasn't black all the way through. It was coated somehow and so cleaning it off took the black off it and turned it white in places. I used a sharpie to color it black again, and it looks good, but I think I'll be more careful with the glue next time. I sharpied the entire face plate to even out the color, but it looks almost factory.

Everyone should do this. For a total of $35 I got homelink!!

wbk_viper 12-20-2009 11:02 PM

oops, double post

douglasland 12-21-2009 12:04 AM

Nice! Pics? Where did you choose to do the install?

partsbill 12-21-2009 06:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed my homelink unit in the upper console 2 years ago, cost $0.00, I was able to get a homelink unit out of a Lincoln Town Car visor that we had warrantied because the fabric had a tear in it, I just recently came across another unit out of a Mercury Milan visor that has a defective mirror that I am installing on my motorcycle, as you can see in the picture I use it so much that the button has worn down to a polished look.

wbk_viper 12-21-2009 12:13 PM

I installed it in the same place as PartsBill. My faceplate looks blacker, due to the sharpie, but it looks factory and works great. Just took a little patience cutting the hole and wiring.

I just need something stiff to put up above it to offer support now. I just have it duck taped in. On the sticky he suggests styrofome. that sounds like it would work so I'm going to look for some.

gt ron 02-21-2010 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by partsbill (Post 6704757)
I installed my homelink unit in the upper console 2 years ago, cost $0.00, I was able to get a homelink unit out of a Lincoln Town Car visor that we had warrantied because the fabric had a tear in it, I just recently came across another unit out of a Mercury Milan visor that has a defective mirror that I am installing on my motorcycle, as you can see in the picture I use it so much that the button has worn down to a polished look.

That is a sweet install. Where would you recommend I go to find one of those visor units?

MELLOWYELLOW06 02-21-2010 10:50 PM

Ford edge replacement visor is the cheapest unit. Just tear it apart and pull unit out. I did mine about 2 years ago as well and all is well.

SHOWPONY2010 02-22-2010 08:31 PM

Where do you get this homelink unit?

walnetto 10-30-2010 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by SHOWPONY2010 (Post 6834739)
Where do you get this homelink unit?

Try ebay.