Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires: 245/45/18 front & 275/40/18 rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

High performance allseason? I went that route even though I never intended on driving in the snow, just that I figured since I traveled so much with the Stang that, if I did get caught in some snow, I'd have a bit of an advantage. But putting tires on a Stang to help in the snow is like putting perfume on a pig.

I haven't looked lately but aren't there plenty of 255/40's to put up front that will go with 285/40's rear?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:15 AM
stangfreak2
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I haven't looked lately but aren't there plenty of 255/40's to put up front that will go with 285/40's rear?
Well, there aren't many. There are about 3 or 4 options. Also with 255/40 fronts and 285/40 rears, the overall diameter of the front wheel would be about one inch (.944") smaller than the rears..seems a little much if you ask me.

As for the all-season part, I am not doing it for snow, but mainly because with summer tires, the rubber compound becomes extremely hard in lower temperatures (anything under 40 or 50 degrees, really), resulting in less traction even on dry roads, whereas an all-season tire will still get good traction even in the cold (wet OR dry) because it will not tend to harden up as much. At least that is what I have come to understand about summer tires. I have heard from some people who have said that the traction in colder temperatures of their nitto 555's or BFGKDW2's is just MUCH worse than in the summer, and as previously stated, I plan to use this car every day, all year round, so I need something where I don't have to worry about that.

Tire rack even says, "Like all summer tires, [these] tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures..."
Old 12-21-2009, 09:26 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
...putting tires on a Stang to help in the snow is like putting perfume on a pig.
He's right.
My perfumed pig does no better in the snow than my un-perfumed pig.
But I would rather take the perfumed pig for a ride on the tandem bicycle.
Especially if he wants to sit up front.
I hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:08 AM
stangfreak2
2nd Gear Member

ha. i understand your point, and as I said, I am not worried about snow whatsoever. The main thing I worry about is poor dry traction in colder weather due to hardening of the rubber of summer tires.

"Like all summer tires, [these] tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures..."-tirerack.com

Can anyone convince me that summer tires work perfectly well in sub 40 or 50 degree temperatures? I am after a tire that works well in dry/wet conditions in both Hot AND Cold temperatures with little to no importance in snow/ice traction. I mean, will I regret buying BFG KDW II's or NITTO NT555's or Sumo HTR Z III's when using them in the winter in Dallas? From what I have read/heard, I just might, as the dry draction can suffer in colder temperatures (even at 40 or 50 degrees)!

Last edited by stangfreak2; 12-21-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

go 255/285. i have 255/275 and its bugging the hell out of me because i'm detail oriented
Old 12-21-2009, 10:35 AM
stangfreak2
2nd Gear Member

Yeah. I know what you mean. The only thing about that is that there arent NEARLY as many options for 255/285 :/ Who has the 255/285 setup and what tires are you using? And are you pleased with the tires all year round?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:33 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangfreak2
Well, there aren't many. There are about 3 or 4 options. Also with 255/40 fronts and 285/40 rears, the overall diameter of the front wheel would be about one inch (.944") smaller than the rears..seems a little much if you ask me.

As for the all-season part, I am not doing it for snow, but mainly because with summer tires, the rubber compound becomes extremely hard in lower temperatures (anything under 40 or 50 degrees, really), resulting in less traction even on dry roads, whereas an all-season tire will still get good traction even in the cold (wet OR dry) because it will not tend to harden up as much. At least that is what I have come to understand about summer tires. I have heard from some people who have said that the traction in colder temperatures of their nitto 555's or BFGKDW2's is just MUCH worse than in the summer, and as previously stated, I plan to use this car every day, all year round, so I need something where I don't have to worry about that.

Tire rack even says, "Like all summer tires, [these] tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures..."
The overal diamter difference between the 255/45/18 and 285/40/18 is .05" Not all manufacture tires will be exactly the same size. For example Nitto NT 555 list the 255/45/18 and 285/40/18 are listed at 27". Goodyear list their 255 at 27.03 and 285 at 26.98. As far as choices I am happy with my Nitto NT 555.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangfreak2
I guess I will have to go with the 255/275 combo as suggested by americanmuscle, but it just weirds me out that the front tires would be taller than the rears. I would think that, if anything should be different in this regard, the REAR tires should fill out the wheel wells more so than the fronts. I am surprised nobody else has had this problem! Although I guess the source of the problem is the fact that I am not satisfied with the Nitto555's or BFGKDW2's because I am after more of a high performance all season tire. Those two mentioned above are the ONLY options for the 255/285 combination. When you look at the 245/275 or 255/275 combinations, there are many more options, including several 'all season' type tires, which are of interest to me....

hmmmmm....I. am. torn.
Yes, I've faced the same issue. I have 18 X9's up front and 18 X 10's in the rear. Also, I wanted high-performance all-seasons for the same reasons you state, and I think it is a reasonable consideration. I went with the Goodyear F1 AS, 255/45/18 front, and 275/40/18 rears, and yes, the rears are a little smaller. Initially it wasn't noticeable, but now I have Michelin Pilot Sport AS's in the front after the Goodyears wore due to an alignment issue and the Goodyears at that time were on back-order. The Michelins seem bigger, and my new springs aren't as low as the pro-kits were, so now I notice the difference a little. Not sure its enough to buy two new rear tires though. I know what my wife would say....

Anyway, I think you have some choices. There is a new Continental high-performance AS tire that comes in a larger size - not a 285/40 - something even bigger, that might work on the rear with an 18 X 10 wheel. You might look at the Tire rack web site and call them about it. Another option is to go with the Nittos or the Goodrich KDW's so you can get the 285/40's in the back (and the 255/45's front) so you have a full set of 4 summer tires, then get another set of four 18 X 9 wheels for the all-seasons (255/45's all-around). This will give you a better selection of high-performance all-seasons. If nothing else it's a good excuse to get a second set of rims! Naturally, it will take some additional funds and an understanding spouse.

Last edited by notsofast; 12-21-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: correct typo
Old 12-21-2009, 02:02 PM
stangfreak2
2nd Gear Member

^Exactly...

Is there anyone who went through the same thought process as notsofast and myself that ended up getting summer tires? Do you regret that decision in the cold ever?
Old 12-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

It might just be worth it to get some take off's and slap them on in the colder months.
I was surprised how well my F1's actually did in the colder weather. But just take a little caution.

Quick Reply: Tires: 245/45/18 front & 275/40/18 rear