Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake+CMDP+heads+cams+shorties = +51rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:19 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

These aren't that good. Especially the drive-by. I tried to get a cabin video on the way to work, but wasn't paying attention and ran out of tape. I'll try again on the way home.

Driveway idle
[IMG]
40mph drive-by
[IMG]

They work for me. Someone please let me know if they don't work for you and I suck at the interweb.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:35 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

congrats man. the vid works for me
Old 12-22-2009, 09:36 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

an other guy on this forum made similar numbers with similar mods(cept stock heads)

He was also running shorties... switched to LT's w/ and off road H and the numbers shot up to 350whp.

Some LT's with and off road X or H would really help those heads breath. Supposedly C&Ls new intake manifold will help you pick up an extra 25whp peak for peak and when approaching redline will offer substantial gains. Seems like a good deal for a $800 mod.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:31 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

YOu mentioned the heads you installed being overkill.. which heads would you reccomend? (for NA now but going FI later down the line)
Old 12-23-2009, 09:09 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
YOu mentioned the heads you installed being overkill.. which heads would you reccomend? (for NA now but going FI later down the line)
Let me first apologize for the following novella.....

I think most of the stage I heads are going to have similar flow capabilities regardless of who you get them from. If FRPP would post the flow numbers and specs on their new three valve heads that will allow a one piece spark plug, I would be inclined to recommend them.......You wouldn't have to wait three months like I did to get them, but until you have them, you have no idea what they will flow. I assume they are on the conservative side and use the stock springs and valves. Sutton and Livernois both have some nice specs for their stage I heads, but you pay a hefty price for them. I had never heard of TEA until my tuner said that's who he uses. $1799 is what I paid for the assembled pair with upgraded springs and stock valves. Unfortunately, they don't currently do a core exchange, so you have to wait. Best thing to do is ask your tuner what he likes.

From what I'm experiencing, I think that unless you have plans to go big, ANY heads are probably overkill for a simple bolt on daily driver. Even with F/I, unless you plan on going with forged internals, you aren't going to get any more power with heads. You will get the same power with less boost and lower timing (safer), but you are still limited by the stock rods. Last month's MM&FF has a good article about heads and boost.

Anything I do in next few months will focus on restoring some of the low end torque loss. The flat spot between 2000-2300 is right in my 5th gear, 70-75mph cruising range (60-70% of my total driving), and it really bugs me. Gears will move me out of that range in 5th, but move me into it in other gears, so for me, gears are a bandaid. I won't rule out long tubes but I will not do an O/R setup so I don't think it would gain me much. I will have to pass emissions and getting rid of the cats complicates the issue. My tuner also thinks he can use the shorties if I decide to let him fab some turbo manifolds.

Originally, I had placed an order for the C&L intake manifold, but cancelled it when they delayed realease again when I needed to get the car to my tuner. In retrospect, I shouldn't have cancelled the order because it would have been here by the time the heads were done. Oh well, I think it could have given me bigger peak numbers, but probably would have compounded my low end issues.

I'm about 90% certain that my next step will be forged internals and upping the compression. As for forced induction, I think a positive displacement blower would best suit the way I drive, but there are some really good arguments for going with a centri or custom TT.....mainly $$$. I already have the turbos, intercooler, injectors, etc. A centri would be the cheapest option as all I would need is the head unit, and fabbing manifolds for the turbos would be cheaper than purchasing a Whipple HO. I'd like to get close to 400rwhp all motor before I start looking at power adders.

I've been driving the car for four days now, and I'm mostly thrilled with the way it drives. Accellerating through the gears, it is a beast. It gets to the 6500rpm redline fast, and the sound is just awsome. Downshifts for a quick pass or lane change are pretty exhillarating. It's really just the sub 3000rpm partial throttle acceleration that has me a little dissappointed. If new gears can get me around the low end issues for a few months, I will consider everything money well spent.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:13 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Great feedback. Sounds like the heads aren't the best bang for the buck but 51 whp is still impressive for bolt ons...
Old 12-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Jer5757
1st Gear Member

the video was pretty good. Glad every thing worked out for you. Keep us posted on your future mods.