Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much $$ for forged rods and pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Is it cheaper to just buy a new engine vs. sending your stock one off to get forged components installed?
Old 12-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Is it cheaper to just buy a new engine vs. sending your stock one off to get forged components installed?
In the research I have done, it seems everyone has wished they had just bought a small block, so yes...
Old 12-26-2009, 05:31 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

wow well boozy you must be drunk
nicks runnin 580 rwhp so give or take 700 on motor with just rods... been doin it for e years and i dunno about 20k miles
beat on hard on the track with twin turbos and nothings gone pop yet
but then again he'd be laughing at your polished no go mustang
know before you speak
Old 12-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Just re-read your post and had you used proper grammar/punctuation it would have made more sense.

If I re-read it correctly you are saying; "Change the RODS and everything else is good"? Is that correct?

As it's worded right now you are saying that the RODS and motor are good to 700hp...

As for the polished no go comment... that's funny that you are hiding behind someone else car and not your own. I could say that to you as well, with your no go mods which are about equal to mine.. But seeings how there's a blower sitting at home waiting to be put on, I guess I don't need to...

Last edited by Boozshey; 12-26-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:03 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

^^^Haha what is this boozshey amatuer hour? 07muscleman boozshey prolly has more mods than you on his car let alone sitting at his house!!!!
Old 12-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rford426
^^^Haha what is this boozshey amatuer hour? 07muscleman boozshey prolly has more mods than you on his car let alone sitting at his house!!!!
Well, I guess that's what I get for posting here... haha

The more I think about what I have, the more I realize how much I left off the build list... haha, but that's okay. I'm sure when I post an ET in the 10's he will just use another internet lame *** ET calculator and find himself a lower ET.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:33 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

oh im so sorry i didnt take the time to put in my two cents to ensure my spelling and grammer are correct. did I offend you, oh wait i didnt make a capital after a period oh slap my *****
Im saying unless your going over 700 hp you dont need to change your pistions as proved by nicks motor
but hey thats my 2 cents take it or leave it
if you wanna get all school yard bully about it, bring it here and we'll see whos left standing face to face
otherwise its just internet tough guy bullsh!t
oops bad grammer and spelling
my old english teacher would shake his head
oh and sorry you have more mods then me, maybe I wanna put my money into my house and not my car, maybe i feel my car is good enough and maybe i should be putting my money into renovating my house so my assets increase instead of decrease....
silly me
Old 12-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

hahahaha Now you are trying to pick an internet fight. "Left who's standing face to face" and then you accuse me of trying to be a tough guy? HAHAHAHAHA You really are a moron aren't you? But whatever "internet tough guy," I will acknowledge your physical threat, as lame and childish.

No one cares that you own a house, a lot of people own houses and have enough money to do both or don't have to renovate.

Oh and get off "Nick's" nuts already (I don't even know who that is by the way).
Old 12-27-2009, 02:59 AM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

700 flywheel horsepower is a major stretch, more realistically like 575-600 and unless it's been on an engine dyno which I doubt you can't really state X number. If you base your entire outlook of a platform on one motor hanging on good luck with that.

Pertaining to the OP, cost depends on how much you do yourself. If you have a shop pull it build it and install easily $2500+ install, most likely $3k+
Old 12-27-2009, 10:44 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide

I believe it would be cheaper to buy a shortblock vs. sending it off. The convenience factor alone would be worth some of the cost.

If Ford ever comes out with a 3v aluminator long block that would be the ticket.

About just changing the rods: The factory pistons may last. They have design limitations like placement of the top ring and being constructed of hypereutetic aluminum that makes them prone to damage. The whole rotating assembly would have to be rebalanced when adding new rods so why not get better pistons? The factory pistons would be the next weak link.

To the OP and others asking the question: The only way you will know what it will cost you is to decide what you want to do and how much of it you want someone else to do. After that it's time to start making calls and asking around for good shops. Researching shops is very important. A local mustang guy is out over 10k and still doesn't have his car running. All because he decided to go to a shop of incompetents. He was warned not to go there but went anyway. Avoid shops with bad reps.

Last edited by BruceH; 12-27-2009 at 10:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: How much $$ for forged rods and pistons?