Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:40 PM
JWButler14
3rd Gear Member

i wish we could find out for sure if they will work or not. what if were to replace our radio with a shaker one? are there amps that need to be used too? or can u just plug up the new radio and have the controls working? does anyone know exactly what all is involved in taking the sync system out of one vehicle and putting it in another?

Last edited by JWButler14; 05-06-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:05 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bustacrab
I'm about to swap out my stock/BASE GT deluxe steering wheel out for the one off the GT500. I was wondering if anyone knew what TYPE of bolt is used to bolt the steering wheel to the car? Is it yield tight? what type of steel is it?
Originally Posted by 2010V6Stang
Let me know how this goes because I am looking to upgrade mine as well.
Hey, just curious guys..... Why are you upgrading your steering wheels? I looked at that one and the only thing I see different is the snake in the center.

Other than the snake, does it look different than mine (i put the woodgrain on mine so it looks a little different now, but you get the idea)?

Pic of my stock wheel below:

Last edited by discodave; 05-06-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:16 PM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

The Gt500 wheel has suede with bigger thumb ***** with white stitches. Not to mention is has real aluminum trim. But if i would of got the premium GT i would of just kept the stock steering wheel. The base GT wheel is plastic injection mold. It was terrible.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dstang10
The Gt500 wheel has suede with bigger thumb ***** with white stitches. Not to mention is has real aluminum trim. But if i would of got the premium GT i would of just kept the stock steering wheel. The base GT wheel is plastic injection mold. It was terrible.
All the aluminum trim in my car is real aluminum, including the steering wheel. Mine has white stitching and real leather also, so I guess the GT500 wheel is different in that it has suede and bigger thumb *****. That snake in the middle looks sweet as hell too.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:27 PM
bustacrab
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by discodave
All the aluminum trim in my car is real aluminum, including the steering wheel. Mine has white stitching and real leather also, so I guess the GT500 wheel is different in that it has suede and bigger thumb *****. That snake in the middle looks sweet as hell too.
the deluxe GT wheel is why i upgraded. you have the GOOD wheel. no need for you to upgrade. also, it doesn't come with the emblem since thats attached to the airbag
Old 05-06-2010, 09:42 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bustacrab
the deluxe GT wheel is why i upgraded. you have the GOOD wheel. no need for you to upgrade. also, it doesn't come with the emblem since thats attached to the airbag
Oh, ok..... gotcha.... i hadn't seen the other steering wheel options.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Chainsaw

Originally Posted by discodave
Hey, just curious guys..... Why are you upgrading your steering wheels? I looked at that one and the only thing I see different is the snake in the center.

Other than the snake, does it look different than mine (i put the woodgrain on mine so it looks a little different now, but you get the idea)?

Pic of my stock wheel below:

because they don't have premium GTs, the 500 is nicer then the base one.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 PM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

The 500 is nicer than the premium also...

Originally Posted by Chainsaw
Old 05-07-2010, 10:47 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chainsaw
What do you mean they don't have premium GTs? I've seen lots of premium GTs.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:00 PM
JWButler14
3rd Gear Member

Did my swap today but no luck with the controls and base radio but will keep tryin I also swap out my radio with a shaker and the controls worked on it so the wires r there but gotta figure out how to make em work with the base radio. O I will post pics tomorrow gotta go to sleep gotta go to work in 3 hours

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Swap