Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What S/C for 2007 GT to do ~11.9 in 1/4 mile?

Old 12-27-2009, 10:10 PM
ryan4096

Default What S/C for 2007 GT to do ~11.9 in 1/4 mile?

Having finished up installing my suspension modifications I planned over the last year. I'm now planning on a S/C for end of next year. There seem to be so many choices, rwhp differences, cost, etc.

6 months ago, I was on the highway heading home ... and get skooled by a Z06 vette. So from Road & Track "The Z06 was quickest, at 3.6 seconds 0-60 mpg and 12.0 seconds at 121.0 mph in the quarter mile."

... of all the rwhp options in S/C for the mustang, how on -earth- does anyone know what each gives? 400 enough? 450?

The only things I need to keep in mind are:

I'm in calif - so must be CARB legal
it's a daily driver, so it can't wreck my engine long-term; no i don't go to the track, never will.
I want something that has kick from low rpm to high.
cost is important; but quality is more important with in reason. ie: 4k is nice, 6k is 'kinda okay' higher than that ... nearly out of the question.

I tried searching and what not - can't find a good resource/thread/article to find out just what an S/C will give to a car.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:16 PM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

Go to brenspeed they have info on all of their packages
Old 12-27-2009, 10:27 PM
ryan4096

thanks, but maybe i'm not asking the question right.

i've been to brenspeed, their site is very nice, etc... same with steedas and a few others.

but, all I've seen listed is: boost, rwhp, flywheel hp, 'tire shredding monster', X lb injectors, etc.

not knowing what any of that 'nets' when buying an SC makes it pretty useless overall.

granted, I'd end up with a faster car :-) but ... no point unless i'm sure of what i'm buying is what i really want to end up with. and nitrous is out, ie: daily driver and the 'all the time' power is preferred.

im wondering about:
1) 'flywheel hp' for 3490 weight of your car gets your X fast.
2) SC's that are good long term investments. (and have to be CARB legal) I can see which are carb legal on each site of course, but not sure how people even choose which to go with, even when cost is the same.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:33 PM
ryan4096

i should google more before posting here. :-)

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/performance-calculators/

seems as if 450hp will do it.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:34 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ryan4096
Having finished up installing my suspension modifications I planned over the last year. I'm now planning on a S/C for end of next year. There seem to be so many choices, rwhp differences, cost, etc.

6 months ago, I was on the highway heading home ... and get skooled by a Z06 vette. So from Road & Track "The Z06 was quickest, at 3.6 seconds 0-60 mpg and 12.0 seconds at 121.0 mph in the quarter mile."

... of all the rwhp options in S/C for the mustang, how on -earth- does anyone know what each gives? 400 enough? 450?

The only things I need to keep in mind are:

I'm in calif - so must be CARB legal
it's a daily driver, so it can't wreck my engine long-term; no i don't go to the track, never will.
I want something that has kick from low rpm to high.
cost is important; but quality is more important with in reason. ie: 4k is nice, 6k is 'kinda okay' higher than that ... nearly out of the question.

I tried searching and what not - can't find a good resource/thread/article to find out just what an S/C will give to a car.
CARB limits your choices. You can bolt on a Whipple HO for about $6500
and have 550+ hp AND be carb legal. Here's a link to their dynosheet: http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1208 The quarter mile times came from the old gen 1.

The quarter mile times depend on the driver. I'm sure the z06 does better than a 12.0 with a good driver. Many on these forums have timeslips in the 11's with a whippled stock motor.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Well, a big part of a track time is your driving skill. I would say pretty much any S/C kit on the Brenspeed site should be capable of a 12 or under in the right conditions with the right mods and a good driver at sea level. One problem you'll have is putting the power on the ground. I would plan on investing in some good/wide tires, suspension mods and possibly gears/driveshaft if you are going to run the car at the track regularly. I don't think any of us here can say "put this kit on and you'll run an 11.9"

A big part of the equation here is your comfort level. If you are ok with pushing the car to the theoretical edge of the stock block, I'd recommend a Saleen blower in the twin screws, and the Paxton or Vortech HO in a centri. The Paxton kit is a great deal at around $5k. The Saleens are a bit more. That decision comes down to power delivery preferences on your part.

If you're looking for good power but not wanting to push it as far and get away with $4k out of pocket, the standard Vortech or Paxton "throwback" kits (which are identical btw) are a good bang for the buck. You get 90% of the power of the HO kit for about 70% of the cost. Take note however, that these S197s run hot, so if you regularly drive in temps above say, 90, I'd go for the HO kit with the intercooler and maybe just have the tune tamed down of the power level scares you. If you're going to be doing multiple track passes I'd also do the HO kit with the intercooler as you'll heatsoak more slowly (might get an extra pass). I wish I had the intercooler here in Texas, but we're moving to Utah or Colorado in June anyway.

Last edited by Mudflap; 12-27-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pypedgt
Go to brenspeed they have info on all of their packages

Unfortunately I don't think any of Brenspeeds packages are carb approved. At least they weren't when I was shopping.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Intervention
3rd Gear Member

Not to burst your bubble...

But, you will have a VERY difficult time beating a Z06 on the highway. You would need at the very least, 500 to the tires.

At the dragway, its all about driver skill. I have seen z06's run 13's at the track. But I have also seen bone stock zo6's with drag radials run high 10's. Most Z06's can run 11.8 or around there
Old 12-27-2009, 11:02 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Why are you even worried about supercharging if you are not going to take it to the track? Sure spirited driving is fun every once in a while, but street racing is just plain dumb. Why don't you want to take it to the track?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:11 PM
ryan4096

Originally Posted by Intervention
Not to burst your bubble...

But, you will have a VERY difficult time beating a Z06 on the highway. You would need at the very least, 500 to the tires.

At the dragway, its all about driver skill. I have seen z06's run 13's at the track. But I have also seen bone stock zo6's with drag radials run high 10's. Most Z06's can run 11.8 or around there

The bubble popped when that guy took off like I was walking on the side of the road, yet I had my foot on the gas to the floor. :-)

To -not- have someone be able to do quite that ... would be very nice. I've done pretty good next to most other vettes, older cobras, most bmw's, etc. It's the zippy driving between 65 and ~85 on the highway back and forth that's fun, not insane, just not getting totally dusted is a goal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What S/C for 2007 GT to do ~11.9 in 1/4 mile?