Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK Shorties Installed! Heres me review...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Default BBK Shorties Installed! Heres me review...

The install wasnt bad but you really cant try to avoid the "harder" stuff. It says jacking up the engine is option, that is a lie. There is no way to get the headers in place without doing that from what i could tell. But jacking up the engine and removing the mounts was no big deal at all. The started was also removed.

The install took about 6 hours between me and my dad (he did more of the work then myself) but i think with a set of ratcheting wrenches we would have been done atleast an hour or two sooner. If you plan on installing headers yourself i would HIGHLY recommend atleast a few choice ratcheting wrenches (10 13 15mm and a few others) as they will save you so much time and frustration. It is quite cramped at times so with regular wrenches your often making a 1/4 turn at a time.

Also, the O2 sensors are a PITA to get off. Mainly the passenger side one that connects in the tiny space rear of the motor.

As far as performance differences, it feels about the same but *might* feel a bit stronger (i havent got on it or driven much yet). There is definitely a difference in sound of the exhaust. You can hear it pulse alot more and its a bit louder. It added a tiny bit of drone to my boom tubes it seems and when combined with the pulsing its not as nice inside the car but with the windows down its sweet.

For anyone considering shorties i say go for them if you can get a cheap price. I got my chrome bbks for $80 so that + an off day for a bit better sound and "power" if worth it in my book. I would strongly recommend this as a two man job if possible otherwise you will be switching from over the engine to under it ALOT.

If anyone has some questions about the install feel free to message me, i finished about 4 1/2 hours ago so its fresh in my mind.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:05 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Nice write up. Why the hell do you not have a tune/intake???
Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingsofcrunk
Nice write up. Why the hell do you not have a tune/intake???
cause im a cheap college kid
Working on that though. I have the money to afford a blower if i wanted but im trying to keep my savings up. A cai and tune is probably one of my next mods.

Also, does anyone know much about the TPMS sensors? Mine says it if malfunctioning but it was working fine before the install. Could it be because i had the weight off of two wheels and on the other two? I reconnected the battery before i lowered the car back if that matters. I tried switching the ignition on and off a couple times and pressed reset a few but it still came one. maybe disconnect the battery for a while again and see what happens?

Last edited by Shadow7874; 12-28-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Good job, doing it yourself is 1/4 of the fun of the mod + it gives you a great sense of satisfaction!

The tune/CAI will make a noticable difference! Any pics of the install of finished product??
Old 12-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Put a few more miles on. The TPMS alert should clear by itself.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:12 PM
svtsupremecy
1st Gear Member

If you had to do it again, do you think you would of done Longtubes?

Oh and get a CAI and TUNE! you are missing out
Old 12-29-2009, 01:31 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Sounds good but if it was a PITA to put them in I would just want to make sure its done right and done once with quality headers.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:25 PM
fordfan1964

I will sell you my CAI and Tuner. I have the Airaid cold air intake and the Diablo sport Predator Tuner. I havent done the most recent upgrades to the software because it gets rid of the ability to turn off the O2s cause I'm running an Offroad Pipe.

Email me at greg.napolitano@gmail.com and we can discuss a sale/purchase/shipping.

Reason I'm doing that is, I want to buy a supercharger and the kit im gonna buy comes with all new stuff so i wont need what I already have
Old 12-29-2009, 05:52 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

the CAI/race tune will gain you about 35rwhp... nice write up.

I have the JBA shorties and they are real nice. Gains are decent, but it's kinda like working out and drinking a high priced weight gainer. I "think" I see a difference lol.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

I don't think I would bother with LTs unless I got them for a really cheap price. My shorties were way cheaper then any lts plus they were quite a pain to get in place. I can't imagine trying to gr something bigger in there. I have a few pics and I'm going to try and get a clip tonight and I'll post when I get home from work.

Quick Reply: BBK Shorties Installed! Heres me review...