Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger Regrets

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 05:02 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide

BTW if you go with a centri you'll have a little easier time changing a clutch if you ever need to do that.
Can you explain? Why would it be easier or harder to change a cluch depending upon what type of FI you have?

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:28 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Paxton FTW!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 05:53 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW

Originally Posted by Riptide
BTW if you go with a centri you'll have a little easier time changing a clutch if you ever need to do that.
Can you explain? Why would it be easier or harder to change a cluch depending upon what type of FI you have?

Thanks.
Yeah, I'm not sure I understand that comment either... I would think it comes down more to the type of headers you have rather than the type of supercharger you have.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Changing the clutch requires the motor to be tipped back so the tranny will clear the body. Sometimes the supercharger gets in the way. I have to lower the motor via the k member every time I pull my tranny.

You can see in this pic how close the air inlet is to the firewall. Some people just take the sc off for better access. I've been able to get around it just fine. In any case a centri sits up front.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:03 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Changing the clutch requires the motor to be tipped back so the tranny will clear the body. Sometimes the supercharger gets in the way. I have to lower the motor via the k member every time I pull my tranny.

You can see in this pic how close the air inlet is to the firewall. Some people just take the sc off for better access. I've been able to get around it just fine. In any case a centri sits up front.
Interesting, I had no idea you needed to actually tip the motor back to drop the tranny... Thanks for clarifying Bruce.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:15 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
Interesting, I had no idea you needed to actually tip the motor back to drop the tranny... Thanks for clarifying Bruce.
I didn't either, realized it after wrestling with the tranny for a few hours thinking I could get it to clear. Finally I took the motor mounts out and lowered the motor. Worked great until the tranny came off. Then the motor was unbalanced on the jack and tipped forward a good ways. Moderate panic and drama ensued for about 20 minutes. Had to get another jack and a neighbor to get the motor back in place. Before lowering the motor again to get the tranny back in I read Hammeron's RST sticky. He just dropped the k member. Since the motor is attached to the k member it works like a charm.

Sometimes I'm too smart to learn from others experiences