Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repeating Frozen Ebrake Problem...am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:23 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

Default Repeating Frozen Ebrake Problem...am I the only one?

I own a 05 Mustang, had it replaced in Jan 06 where I spent a few weeks dealing with them about this issue and how they were out of stock on the ebrake cables since everyone's mustang was having the same problem....turns out this winter it happened again and now I'm S.O.L since I'm out of warranty and I can bet they never replaced both of them, probably just replaced one so I have new 07 cable and probably a 05 one that needs to be replaced.

Now I wonder if anyone else has had this problem again as well as whether Ford covered the re-replacement of these parts or if you installed it by yourself.

Parts = $110

If they want to charge me install it, I'd rather do it myself but if anyone has done the swap and can explain how easy or hard it is and what it involves to swap them, that would be great

Thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 10:25 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

easy swap, i know a few have posted about the problem reoccuring even with new cables
Old 12-30-2009, 10:28 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

never happened to me after they fixed it the first time
Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

how easily accessible is it and/or where does it run? I'm willing to do the swap for both if the dealer won't warranty it
Old 12-31-2009, 10:12 AM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

I would love to know how easy/hard as well.

I fought tooth and nail with the stealership and they could never reproduce it they said so nothing was ever done about it. Now I'm trying to "break" the habbit of using mine this winter. Even when I don't use it, the next time I go to use it I find out its frozen in the off/down position. ....great for if I ever have to use it in an "emergency" huh???
Old 12-31-2009, 11:47 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

oh tell me in my driveway I have to use it to keep the pressure of the tranny....so regardless I used it 24/7 anywhere i go....just me but they shouldn't have this problem lol I bet you it was fixed by the 08 and 09 models of our cars
Old 12-31-2009, 08:06 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

Gotta love the Ford Service dealer by me:
well I have to use it along with the park every time i park in my driveway just for safety and to reduce strain on the tranny.

I called Ford and first i get told they want me to pay $105 diagnostic fee when I'm clearly telling them whats wrong......how stupid are they?

2nd they tell me that I have $100 deductible and that they will check it out and see what it is and that it takes 1.5 hours to replace an ebrake cable (Parts cost $110 if I were to buy them and do it myself) vs $100 deductible and possibily them only changing one of the brake cables instead of both

3rd If I can figure out how to do this myself without too much work I will but if any of you can find out how I disconnect the other part of the ebrake cable or write up please let me know. I'd rather pay $110 and know I did both myself with a friend, learnt how to do it and did it on my own time where I'm not losing working time as well.

I've been looking for a write up but no luck yet

my other option is driving to Downs Ford which I consider one of the best dealers I've dealt with
Old 01-01-2010, 06:11 AM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

I knew nothing about this common problem with our cars until just recently when my car's e brake started sticking. Its strange to me that ive owned the car for over 4 years and its just now acting up.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:36 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

alright haven't had much luck here....below freezing weather and i work outside for most of the day, when I come all I want to do is stay warm lol

Can anyone get under their S197 if they are in a warmer area and let me know how the ebrake cables run up north and if they are easily to replace? I will attempt to unfreeze my ebrake cable tomorrow but doubt it'll work with the cold freezing weather
Old 01-05-2010, 09:45 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Mine froze last month. I called my brother who runs a shop in STL to see if I could fix it cheaper than the stealership ($600-$700 including a rear brake job). There are actually 3 cables, only made by Ford. The front one (I broke it trying to free the brakes by pulling up and down on it), comes with the handle, and runs from the handle down the left side of the car (underneath) to a "pivot point", and is $95 at my brothers cost. Then there are two more (one goes back to each rear brake) from the pivot point that were either $47 or $74 a piece, I can't remember. Apparently my left rear one has been frozen since the previous owner and has already worn down my rear rotor to warrant it's replacement entirely (according to the stealership). I plan to get new rotors from NTO.com (cheaper than my brother's cost), then get the rest of the parts through him and do the install ourselves at his shop. I had originally brought it to Ford hoping they would show me some mercy because of the TSB, and that I was at 34K when the time ran out on my factory warranty, but they told me to pound sand.

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 01-05-2010 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Repeating Frozen Ebrake Problem...am I the only one?