Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running a powerhouse turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:04 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Default Anyone running a powerhouse turbo?

I haven't seen many people running turbo's on this forum, but nonetheless im going to ask...

Why don't more guys run turbos? Reliability issues? Harder to find tuners? I found a powerhouse turbo kit for a decent price, and am seriously thinking about picking it up. I am afraid that i will run into issues with it down the road, and not have other people with the same kit i could revert to for help.

All thoughts / opinions welcome
Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 PM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

i have the kit in my living room ill let you know how it all works out but so far ive heard its the best turbo money can buy i paid 5195$ for mine....

the reason most people dont run turbos in my opinion is these two reasons

1. most people who are big into modding cars ussually went with the v8 therefore its more beneficial to run a supercharger....plus most people find superchargers easier to install tune etc etc

2. most people who mod cars do it to drive fast i would assume unless there car is a trailor queen and most of those guys will only drive a manuel trans car.....turbos are proven to be faster and more efficient on a auto trans so therefore brings us back to the SC

i have a v6 and its a auto so i went turbo.....

just what i think on the matter
Old 02-04-2010, 11:31 PM
BaDStAnGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ward_spratlin
i have the kit in my living room ill let you know how it all works out but so far ive heard its the best turbo money can buy i paid 5195$ for mine....

the reason most people dont run turbos in my opinion is these two reasons

1. most people who are big into modding cars ussually went with the v8 therefore its more beneficial to run a supercharger....plus most people find superchargers easier to install tune etc etc

2. most people who mod cars do it to drive fast i would assume unless there car is a trailor queen and most of those guys will only drive a manuel trans car.....turbos are proven to be faster and more efficient on a auto trans so therefore brings us back to the SC

i have a v6 and its a auto so i went turbo.....

just what i think on the matter
man that just broke my head trying to understand it...
ive seen more post of the hellion turbo..but not that 1
Old 02-05-2010, 07:38 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

I don't know much about the Powerhouse kit but two of my good buddies are running Hellion turbos and I have nothing bad to say about them... they produce great power, don't have much lag at all, sound fantastic, are built with top notch products and have been very reliable. One of the turbos has over 40k miles on it with no problems whatsoever.

Just make sure you understand the pipes and their positions. Hellion's cold side pipe hangs low, so on lowered cars you sometimes run into clearance issues.

And yes, installing my Saleen was much easier than installing the Hellions... clocking the turbo, aligning the pipes, punching the oil pan were all pains in the @ss.

My Saleen was basically 'drop in' and reroute some tubes and wiring.

Having driven both, I have to say the way they produce power is incredibly different. We haven't run them side by side, but the turbo'd GT feels faster because of the way it builds power. The top end rush is fantastic and it feels stronger than my Saleen. That being said, the low end power of the Saleen is wicked. I've got tons of power at 2k rpms and would easily get a good jump before his turbo spools up.

With your gearing neither set up is going to be great. The shortest gearing you'd want with a turbo is probably 3.73s... 3.31s or 3.55s would be better.

And with 4.10s and a twins screw you'd just spin all day. I spin at through 2nd easily with 3.31s...

Either way, good luck with the purchase and can't wait to see it on the next Texas meet/ride!

Oh, and if you get the turbo I get first dibs on your JBA long tubes... it's shorties only with a turbo. :-)
Old 02-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

the whine of a supercharger just sounds so damn cool, thats partly why I would go that route, plus, with a supercharger you don't have any lag, as it works through all rpms...correct me if im wrong, but turbos produce max boost the harder the turbine spools
Old 02-05-2010, 08:08 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cal26Stang
the whine of a supercharger just sounds so damn cool, thats partly why I would go that route, plus, with a supercharger you don't have any lag, as it works through all rpms...correct me if im wrong, but turbos produce max boost the harder the turbine spools
A twin screw supercharger does sound great, but to be honest so does the turbo. I almost prefer the sound of the turbo. A twins screw doesn't have any lag, but a centri (vortech, paxton) have to spool up just like a turbo does...

A smaller turbo has less lag and the Hellion kits that my friend are using are 62mm I believe and they have almost no lag at all, they are very responsive and both dyno'd around 450rwhp with the 9lb spring.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:03 PM
BaDStAnGT
2nd Gear Member

when is the next meet? one time i remember it was on feb.

im looking forward to seen your car steve and your camera lol
Old 02-05-2010, 06:09 PM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

lots of guys on the "other" mustang forum use powerhouse and love 'em.

i personally have purchased a few parts from them and their service and mustang knowledge are top notch.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:07 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Here is a good thread on turbos and gearing, might be of some use to you...

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28481