Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drifting in the Stang

Old 01-03-2010, 03:31 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Cool Drifting in the Stang

I just got back from letting my Pony out to play in the snow. Let me tell you, even with snow tires it was fun!! There's several abandoned malls in the area with HUGE expanses of unplowed parking lot. Nothing too crazy (gotta watch out for light poles after all), just testing the ABS and TCS to see how they do their thing and get a feel for how my new Stang takes to 6 inches of unplowed fluff. The funniest moment was when I passed a guy in a decked-out Xterra SUV--monster truck tires and all...the "WTF?!?" look on his face was priceless. This little adventure showed me that Mustangs aren't bad in snow if you have the proper tires; in fact with Blizzaks my little Pony is a beast in deep snow.

Anyone else like to have a little winter fun in their Stang? I know many here are shocked and horrified at the thought of taking theirs out of the garage, lol!
Old 01-03-2010, 04:46 PM
gt/cs07
2nd Gear Member

Just be careful. My buddy did that with his Camaro and wrapped it around a pole. He thought it was a blast and that even with snow tires his car wasn't bad. They are bad unless the rear end is weighted. Don't be fooled you were lucky IMO.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:56 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gt/cs07
Just be careful. My buddy did that with his Camaro and wrapped it around a pole.
I think it's alright to test it out and learn the car, but as for fun, prolly something to keep to a minimum. Plus dunno what happened to your friend, but if I was somewhere close to a pole, I would definitely move to another spot. Considering the circumstances, prolly skidded quite a bit and just had pure bad luck.

As of right now I don't even want to think about driving a pony thru the snow. I just want spring to roll around.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:16 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gt/cs07
Just be careful. My buddy did that with his Camaro and wrapped it around a pole. He thought it was a blast and that even with snow tires his car wasn't bad. They are bad unless the rear end is weighted. Don't be fooled you were lucky IMO.
My trunk is weighted with 100 lbs.

Trick is to use a very light foot on the gas...use the same winter-driving tactics that apply to every other car on the road.

Alkemist, I can't blame you for not wanting to drive a Stang in winter! You've really been thru some **** lately.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

I backed mine out of the garage with it toyo proxies and it didn't like it much.. I had to back it out to get my quad out to go have fun.... that was a blast
Old 01-03-2010, 05:27 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by satur9poet
My trunk is weighted with 100 lbs.
What did you end up stuffing in your trunk? I'm sure the incessant chatter of big bird would of drove you crazy and you went with something else

Was thinking of shingles myself, but dunno what the cost of them are right now lol.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:38 PM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(pt...rce=GoogleBase

Any local H/W store.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:59 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
What did you end up stuffing in your trunk? I'm sure the incessant chatter of big bird would of drove you crazy and you went with something else

Was thinking of shingles myself, but dunno what the cost of them are right now lol.
It was his nonstop singing of the Sesame Street theme song that did it, lol!

But seriously, I used bags or rock salt to weight the trunk...and yes, I know about the dangers of them breaking open...but if i ever become stuck all I have to do is throw a handful under the tires. I also have a shovel in the trunk along with a flashlight and my trusty old cellphone with the number to roadside assistance, so I am very prepared for whatever winter throws at me.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:02 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Johnboy7701
I backed mine out of the garage with it toyo proxies and it didn't like it much..
Are those summer tires or all-season? I like your rims, BTW!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:23 PM
gt/cs07
2nd Gear Member

I didn't want to come off preachy. My Mustang has been at the body shop just like alkemist. Don't want to see yours end up there too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drifting in the Stang