MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Oil change with royal purple, why? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/580060-oil-change-with-royal-purple-why.html)

UpTo11 01-04-2010 01:18 PM

Oil change with royal purple, why?

Well, I did an oil change today after 3,000 miles without one, and I used Royal Purple synthetic for the first time instead of my usual Mobil. Purple has been recommended by quite a few of the guys here on the forums, and I've seen it advertised in Mustangs & Fast Fords, and here on mustangforums, so I came to assume it's a relatively good oil for the Mustang. Is there any specific reason WHY it's better?

Redsox401 01-04-2010 01:25 PM

Well because thats what i use and i only use the best. but seriously i dont know. BUMP

replica 01-04-2010 01:35 PM

Marketing, just like K&N.

Nuke 01-04-2010 01:55 PM

Maybe because you CAN? If you race, beat the hell out of your engine or want to extend your oil change frequency beyond 8,000 miles, then RP or Amsoil or M1 are good choices. If you drive normally (the occasional WOT runs up 100 MPH or more are NOT abnormal) and use a good blend and change that at 5,000-7,000 miles, you'll get the same service life out of your engine as you will using RP or any other quality synthetic.

I use Amsoil in the Stang and M1 in my tow vehicle. Go figure. It SHOULD be the other way around since my SUV gets more severe service.

ShadyNinja 01-04-2010 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by replica (Post 6729671)
Marketing, just like K&N.

couldn't of said it better myself.
I wish more companies would spend less on marketing , and more on making the products better.

Nuke 01-04-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja (Post 6729766)
couldn't of said it better myself.
I wish more companies would spend less on marketing , and more on making the products better.

+1

I personally believe that everyone could run the Motorcraft blend and change it at 5,000-7,500 miles and all would be well and we'd save $$. So why do I use Amsoil in the Stang and M1 in the SUV? Other than marketing and extending my change frequencies, beats the heck out of me...

Fort LiquordaleGT 01-04-2010 02:38 PM

because this forum is filled with idiots... we have people changing their oil at 3k spending a fortune, putting SC on cars that bring the total cost up past 40k, jacking their cars up via the rear, then changing the rear fluid for no reason, changing tranny fluid for no reason etc. Fact is this, your car has a 99% chance of having no internal issues before 100k, it's a Stang, they build them very well. Stop thinking in ten years you will care about this car this much, in fact next year our cars are ancient history in the mustang world. Put the cheapest syntheic in and call it day at 7500 miles and enjoy your car.

Redsox401 01-04-2010 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fort LiquordaleGT (Post 6729797)
because this forum is filled with idiots... we have people changing their oil at 3k spending a fortune, putting SC on cars that bring the total cost up past 40k, jacking their cars up via the rear, then changing the rear fluid for no reason, changing tranny fluid for no reason etc. Fact is this, your car has a 99% chance of having no internal issues before 100k, it's a Stang, they build them very well. Stop thinking in ten years you will care about this car this much, in fact next year our cars are ancient history in the mustang world. Put the cheapest syntheic in and call it day at 7500 miles and enjoy your car.

with that reasoning you may as well try driving over speed bumps as fast as you can, because who cares we're all idiots, right!

rford426 01-04-2010 03:03 PM

^ haha he will be the one with a roached out s197

Fort LiquordaleGT 01-04-2010 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Redsox401 (Post 6729844)
with that reasoning you may as well try driving over speed bumps as fast as you can, because who cares we're all idiots, right!

count em, 11, yup 11 stangs in my family at some point. Your analogy is not even remotely accurate, I'm not talking about abusing our cars, I"m talking about using common sense. There is nothing special about the stang to warrant the stupidity found on this site when it comes to maintenance. I never advocated abusing our cars, simply saying, it's a car, just like a Honda, would you change the rear fluid or tranny fluid on a 2006 Honda? No, so why would you do it on a 2006 Stang? Does a Stang warrant this? Nope.