Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i have a"fuel pump" sound that gets louder with speed noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:57 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Default i have a"fuel pump" sound that gets louder with speed noise

well over the few month ive notice a high pitch noise coming from under the back seats while driving. First thought was the fuel pump and thought nothing of it until i notice that i would get higher with speed or lower with deceleration. I checked under the car at the u joints and any rotating wear items everything felt solid and lubricated.

Any ideas?

The only mods are in my sig
Old 01-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Are you sure it isn't coming out of your speakers, which would indicate a bad alternator in the midst.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I was thinking the subs if you have the Shaker 1000 or the rear speakers. Either an alternator issue as Boozshey stated or an issue with the Shaker system.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:54 AM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

Could also have a pinion bearing going out. Or maybe your differential is low of oil. Both would cause a whining noise.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:02 AM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

I didnt think of the speakers, I have the shaker 500. In a previous car i had the alt noise your talking about. This noise im having doesnt sound like that but when i listen for it you can only really hear it with the radio off. Ill pull the fuse for the radio to eliminate speaker noise though.

I had my clutch packs replaced about 10K ago my car was at about 15K when i had them done under the TSB. I could duble check and check the level of the rear
Old 01-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

You'll get the speaker sounds with the radio on or off.

Does it make the sound when you are stopped? If so, then you know it's not the rear end of pinion bearing as suggested.

Also I wouldn't worry about my rear end fluid level unless I had a noticeable leak. It's not like oil and burns away.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:59 AM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eslhockey92g
I didnt think of the speakers, I have the shaker 500. In a previous car i had the alt noise your talking about. This noise im having doesnt sound like that but when i listen for it you can only really hear it with the radio off. Ill pull the fuse for the radio to eliminate speaker noise though.

I had my clutch packs replaced about 10K ago my car was at about 15K when i had them done under the TSB. I could duble check and check the level of the rear
So you've already had work done to the differential? I would be suspicious. Installing or in your case, reinstalling the carrier is somewhat of a precise procedure, involving tight tolerances. If off only by a few thousands of an inch would cause quite a bit of noise. Also, are your LCAs adjustable? If so, are you sure there not set too long or short? Either case would result in your pinion angle being off, and also cause the noise you're describing.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:11 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

ok, well i ruled out the motor and the speakers. I found a big hill and pulled the radio fuse and left the car in neutral and rolled down the hill. At about 25 mph i stared to hear a very clear noise coming from the back of the car. Very faint but still there. the faster i go the louder it got but again almost un-noticable but i hear it. It then goes away around 25mph while slowing down. The LCA are non adjustable and i grease them regularly.

Im gonna call the dealership that did my TSB and see what they say. I doubt theyll help but who knows
Old 01-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

That's the infamous gear whine if you ask me then! That sucks, good luck I have heard nothing but horror stories about getting rid of the whine once it starts.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:38 PM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

ugh, that blows. The kick in the nuts i still have the stock rear ratio. Ill see what the dealer will do about it. Its not the bad just something ive noticed when the radio is off.

Quick Reply: i have a"fuel pump" sound that gets louder with speed noise