Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive by emissions testing!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:59 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Default Drive by emissions testing!

Looks like my county is going to be piloting a new emissions program along with Colorado. Per this article you basically just drive by a van equipped with ultraviolet lights that reads your exhaust content, snaps a photo of your tag and mails you your certificate of compliance so you can renew your tags for the year. This is actually good news. The way I see it is that if I go to the emissions test center not only do I have to pull my O/R h pipe and install the factory cat pipe but I will also have to upload the emissions friendly tune to the ECM and do the drive cycle because they will be checking my ECM for faults. With this drive by roadside testing I will be able to just get away with throwing the cats on. Then again I wonder if I can just leave the O/R pipe on and shut off the ignition as I coast by the van lol. Seriously!

Anyone in Colorado here seen this roadside testing or participated in it? Anyone else heard of this coming to your area.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:29 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yeah i would think this is going to be required
to pass. maybe not at first, but certainly after
the technology (equipment) has been perfected.

Originally Posted by timmbo

With this drive by roadside testing I will be able to just get away with throwing the cats on.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

ugh...sounds like cats and shorty headers are in everyones future. certain counties here in TX are also going super emissions or being penalized by the feds. its like taxes, tickets, and everything else...hurt the little guy...overlook the fatcat politically-aligned super abusers..factories and refineries.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:00 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Rub, wait till y'all have to go through emissions like us in travis/williamson counties .
Not that bad, yet, but bad enough if you want to keep street legal.

Eventually I'm sure there'll be changes to get more compliance out of newer vehicles to new standards, and then the **** will hit the fan everywhere. It's coming. Hopefully not that soon.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I DO live in travis/williamson county Mike (north 183A, cedar park area). I'm the guy you talked to on the phone a few months ago when I was having all the trouble passing emissions with my longtubes and cams. I finally had to yank the cams and put some O2 extenders on with an emissions tune to pass. It was a huge pita...
Old 01-09-2010, 12:50 PM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I DO live in travis/williamson county Mike (north 183A, cedar park area). I'm the guy you talked to on the phone a few months ago when I was having all the trouble passing emissions with my longtubes and cams. I finally had to yank the cams and put some O2 extenders on with an emissions tune to pass. It was a huge pita...
Dont understand why you had to yank the cams. There are a ton of people passing emissons with cams. I know here with the static testing stations now you pull in, they test your fuel cap, slide a handheld mirror under the car to check for cats, plug a cable up to your OBD II port and check the ECM for faults then take your ten bucks.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:54 PM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Just went through it in Travis myself. It was a pain. Passed in the end but a huge pain.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:01 PM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Ok, so in Texas are they using a sniffer or are they just checking your computer for fault codes?
Old 01-09-2010, 03:49 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Ok, so in Texas are they using a sniffer or are they just checking your computer for fault codes?
How does that work BTW, if you tossed on a tune and they check by fault codes? Do you need to switch back to stock before taking it in?
Old 01-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

here in Harris county (in Texas)
the emmisions are done as follows
1995+ (obd port check for faults, test gas cap, some check for cats others just smell the differance)

1994 and older (Sniffer on a dyno with an inductive clamp a spark plug wire)

Quick Reply: Drive by emissions testing!