Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Billet Comp Plus Shifter. Anyone have?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:15 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

i had the hurst for 2 years.yes it is more notchy than the MGW, problem i had with it was grinding gears,usually going from 1st to second.i tried re-tightening the bolts and greasing up the bushings but it didnt help,it only did it when i was under heavy accelaration,not all the time.

so i switched out to the MGW and WOW what a difference,no more gears grinding and it feels sooo much better.with the hurst i could almost feel the teeth of the gears it felt like,with the MGW it feels like it clicks into place,its not smooth as butter,it still has that muscle car feel.i like it alot!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

love my Hurst

I will be moving to a Tri-Ax somewhere down the road. I have a issue with missing 3rd gear sometimes and the shift assist would be nice.

but for a great shifter, you cannot go wrong with the Hurst. Especially as they are $100 cheaper than everybody else.

my only complaint is that the shifter ***** are so expensive and Hurst uses a different threading from everybody else
Old 01-12-2010, 07:07 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the opinions. It seems some have good luck with it and others don't. The MGW however seems to have universal praise and I have thought about that one long and hard too. I don't believe I've read anything bad about MGW unless someone could point that out to me. I hate to put fashion and money over function but the Hurst just looks like it belongs. The billet hurst comes with shift stops so I wonder if some people are running the adjustment screws in too far causing a grind because it's not fully getting into gear? I obviously don't know cause I've never had the shifter in my hands.

Man, this is a hard decision.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:10 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo
Thanks for all the opinions. It seems some have good luck with it and others don't. The MGW however seems to have universal praise and I have thought about that one long and hard too. I don't believe I've read anything bad about MGW unless someone could point that out to me. I hate to put fashion and money over function but the Hurst just looks like it belongs. The billet hurst comes with shift stops so I wonder if some people are running the adjustment screws in too far causing a grind because it's not fully getting into gear? I obviously don't know cause I've never had the shifter in my hands.

Man, this is a hard decision.
my hurst did not have shift stops,your not suppose to use shift stops at all with our trannys. mgw sells a shift stop kit only becuase people asked for it and they even recomend not to use it. i chose the hurst 2 years ago becuase of the price and the way it looked, 2 years later im glad i switched to mgw and i have the stock shift **** back in the car,i may change it one day but i like it for now.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

I love my Hurst. For the price it is unbeatable. The way the MGW is set up you get more isolations and mechanical advantage, so it feels smoother and easier. But really your just masking what the car is actualy doing, not correcting the issue. IMO Get the Hurst, wonderful shifter, never had a single issue with my billet, most the issues I have heard wore on the non billet version. Take the money you saved and grab a K member brace, that will actualy correct the problem with the remote mounted shifter, as upposed to making you not feel it, while maintaing that very short, notchy feel where you actualy know what the transmission is feeling like.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

I have the Hurst Billet... With "T" handle.. No grind. No rattle. The throw is "snick" "snick" and extremely short. Just a flip of the wrist. That could be why some people say they grind, the throw is so short if you're not paying attention, it may grind.

Under hard shifting.. I've NEVER missed a gear, nor ground one. Factory shifter was iffie on 2-3 shift. This is very "sure".

It also sits up pretty tall. Not sure if the others do as well. I'm over 6 foot and it is way more comfortable than factory. I keep my elbow on the console and row through gears.

Last edited by robs; 01-12-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:26 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

timmbo what ya gonna get
Old 01-13-2010, 01:18 PM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by deekum1627
timmbo what ya gonna get
Funny you should ask, perfect timing. After some research and careful consideration on all points I just pulled the trigger through Summit on the Hurst Billet Comp Plus. I think robs comment and photo helped seal the deal. However I like the ball better than the T-handle. Hope there are no issues. But if there are I'll just return it. MGW would be my only other choice.

I appreciate everyone chiming in.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:46 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

sounds good man good luck with it the new shifter will blow away the crappy stocker. let us know when u get it in and how you like it
Old 01-13-2010, 04:36 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo
Funny you should ask, perfect timing. After some research and careful consideration on all points I just pulled the trigger through Summit on the Hurst Billet Comp Plus. I think robs comment and photo helped seal the deal. However I like the ball better than the T-handle. Hope there are no issues. But if there are I'll just return it. MGW would be my only other choice.

I appreciate everyone chiming in.

Gratz, nice choice. Like I said, if you want with your extra money you saved THIS is a very good mod to go along with that shifter.

Quick Reply: Hurst Billet Comp Plus Shifter. Anyone have?