MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Quicky Question About Taillight Trim (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/581669-quicky-question-about-taillight-trim.html)

satur9poet 01-14-2010 05:36 PM

Quicky Question About Taillight Trim

I bought a set of Stack Racing chrome taillight bezels from AM last month and am itching to install...but the weather has not been very cooperative lately. We're finally in a stretch of warmer, dry weather and I kinda want to put the trim on this weekend after the car gets a way overdue bath!

Question is, do I need a decently warm surface for the 3M tape to form a strong bond? Or can it bond and set at any temperature? Temps this weekend are going to be in the 40's.

Any tips and tricks is greatly appreciated...I want the trim to last a while. :)

Also, have any of you had mods with 3M tape suddenly fall off?

ptaylor_9849 01-14-2010 09:53 PM

Make sure the area is super clean and dry and use the alcohol swab provided. Then warm up the area well with a hair dryer first. The warmer you make the area, the better the adhesion will be.

157dB 01-16-2010 02:49 PM

The alcohol might discolor the red lens portion of the taillihg haousing.
Use it sparingly and wait for a warm day as the trim is probably flat
and the housings themselves are slightly curved.
I had slight discoloration with one alcohol prep pad and needed to get
a new housing because of such.
It turned the red lens MILKY WHITE where it was applied after it dried.
Application temperature has a big bearing on the adhesion qualities of
the Acrylic tape.
I had to tape the darn trim on for a week to keep the flat trim from popping
loose on the edges from afore mentioned curved taillight housing.
Same thing with my CDC decklid panel.

satur9poet 01-16-2010 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 157db (Post 6755330)
The alcohol might discolor the red lens portion of the taillihg haousing.
Use it sparingly and wait for a warm day as the trim is probably flat
and the housings themselves are slightly curved.
I had slight discoloration with one alcohol prep pad and needed to get
a new housing because of such.
It turned the red lens MILKY WHITE where it was applied after it dried.
Application temperature has a big bearing on the adhesion qualities of
the Acrylic tape.
I had to tape the darn trim on for a week to keep the flat trim from popping
loose on the edges from afore mentioned curved taillight housing.
Same thing with my CDC decklid panel.

NOW you tell me after the deed has been done, lol! I haven't seen any discoloration yet...only prepped the black parts of the housing. Unfortunately impatience won out and I installed them today (then I had to rush like mad in the middle of it because a friend called and something came up that threw a wrench in my schedule) so it turned out to be more of a rush job than I wanted. I, too had a bitch of a time getting the flat parts to adhere to the curved bottom portions of the lights. They're on pretty good after much pushing, pounding and swearing.:icon_lol:

alkemist 01-16-2010 06:24 PM

:icon_worthless:

Good to now about the discoloration tidbit. Never knew that.

satur9poet 01-17-2010 06:53 PM

Ask and ye shall receive:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...y_Stang018.jpg

I'm looooovin' the new look! A simple addition that really spices up the boring back end. Would look better without the light coating of road grime ONE day after I washed it however. Oh well, such are winters up here. The blackout panel is magnetic and some of the edges have yet to settle and conform to the decklid, but it should straighten out within a couple days. The fit was very tight around the faux gas cap and took some playing with but all in all it was laughably easy to do.

alkemist 01-17-2010 07:03 PM

Looks really good :icon_woot: and you have your blackout panel on too :icon_surfing:

satur9poet 01-17-2010 07:07 PM

Yeah I fell in love with the look of the blackout panel on other people's Stangs, especially on the light colored cars. It would've been cool if it was a factory option on the 05-09s. :)

alkemist 01-17-2010 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by satur9poet (Post 6757564)
Yeah I fell in love with the look of the blackout panel on other people's Stangs, especially on the light colored cars. It would've been cool if it was a factory option on the 05-09s. :)

yah! It really ties it all together.

TPony 01-17-2010 08:46 PM

Looking good.