Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Gas Tank Theory

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 05:57 PM
satur9poet
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1morepart
just refill at 1/4 of a tank,imo
That's what I do. In winter time it never goes below 1/2 full. On ANY car it's not wise to consistently let your fuel level drop until it hits the red. Empty tank = burned out fuel pump and empty wallet.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:26 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I pump at about 1/4 tank also.. It's very rare for my light to come on.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

In addition, the more airspace you allow in your tank the higher the amount of condensation that can form with temperature swings, resulting in water in the tank. This is another reason to try to keep the tank as full as reasonably possible especially in winter. Those of us in the northern areas are well aware of what a small slug of water in the fuel line will do when the temps are below freezing.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:26 AM
robs
3rd Gear Member

EPA mandates oxygenated fuel here... in our area, that's10% ethanol... we don't have to worry about water...

I fill up around 1/2 tank in all of my fuel injected cars... So far, haven't had to replace a pump, even with two of them at 200k miles... fingers crossed...
Old 01-17-2010, 02:41 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by D'prived
Same here. I've never had my gas light come on.
I know this off topic in my own thread, but how did you do the pic of your mustang? that is pretty cool.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:12 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
I know this off topic in my own thread, but how did you do the pic of your mustang? that is pretty cool.
You mean the signature?
If so, you need to host the picture, I use imageshack, it is free and unlimited.
Then you go into User CP, signature, and go from there. Use the "picture" icon to enter the URL. (also the same thing if you just want to post a picture in a forum post, just hit the picture icon in the message box and post the URL).
Old 01-17-2010, 03:24 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
Hey,

I have a theory that I would like to get people's opinion on.

I have often heard that you are not suppose to let the gas in your gastank drop below 1/4 tank because of fuel pump issues. Is this true?

If I wait until my gas tank light comes on to fill up, am I actually doing myself harm in the long run?
The tanks in these cars are so small that you basically have to let them run almost empty, otherwise you'll be stopping for fuel every other day. I wish my car would take at least 5 gallons more, that would extend the range a bit.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:10 PM
itsokimapilot
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Fuel pump performance will degrade due to lack of proper cooling until they ultimately fail.

But consider this: Starting out with a full tank and filling it when you get to 1/2 vs letting it get low until the light comes on COSTS YOU NO MORE IN GAS OTHER THAN THAT INITIAL FILL-UP, period. You still drive xx # of miles, regardless whether you start with 2 gallons in the tank or 16. You STILL have to pay for what you use. If you think you're really saving anything by letting the tank get down to 2 or 3 gallons you need to think again.
I disagree, I did a little beer math and I would argue that you will save money by letting the gas tank drop. Fueleconomy.gov says that extra weight causes you to lose fuel efficiency. Fuel is heavy. The average weight of a gallon of gas is 6.3lbs. My gas tank holds 16 gals (100.8 lbs) if I use the average of 2 percent of efficiency loss due to the added weight then I can determine the cost to carry it. Let's say a new fuel pump costs $300 to replace. If 2 percent efficiency equals 5 cents a gallon then I could pay for a new fuel pump after 120K miles which some are getting over 200K out of their cars. So let her get low, you'll save money and you'll be lighter... And faster. I know I'd be a lot faster if I lost a few pounds.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:37 PM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

In my older cars I hated to see the light come one because I was never sure exactly how much I had left in there.

Now, on my mustang it tells me exactly how far I have left to go until empty and as a result I have found myself riding around with the light on longer than I would have otherwise.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by itsokimapilot
I disagree, I did a little beer math and I would argue that you will save money by letting the gas tank drop. Fueleconomy.gov says that extra weight causes you to lose fuel efficiency. Fuel is heavy. The average weight of a gallon of gas is 6.3lbs. My gas tank holds 16 gals (100.8 lbs) if I use the average of 2 percent of efficiency loss due to the added weight then I can determine the cost to carry it. Let's say a new fuel pump costs $300 to replace. If 2 percent efficiency equals 5 cents a gallon then I could pay for a new fuel pump after 120K miles which some are getting over 200K out of their cars. So let her get low, you'll save money and you'll be lighter... And faster. I know I'd be a lot faster if I lost a few pounds.
Are you Norm from the Cheers Bar?

Quick Reply: The Gas Tank Theory