Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Billet Comp Plus Shifter. Anyone have?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:36 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Default Hurst Billet Comp Plus Shifter. Anyone have?

Been doing quite a bit of research on shifters here lately. For price, function and the nostalgia factor which to me is important I like this shifter alot. I was wanting to know if anyone is running this shifter and is happy with it. Thanks!

Link to shifter
Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo
Been doing quite a bit of research on shifters here lately. For price, function and the nostalgia factor which to me is important I like this shifter alot. I was wanting to know if anyone is running this shifter and is happy with it. Thanks!

Link to shifter
I know alot of people seem to like them who have gotten them from reading older posts. I myself have never had one. I installed an MGW shifter in mine and I love it. Is it more money? I'd pretty much bet on it. Since I've never had or driven a mustang with the Hurst one I cant 'say' that the MGW one is better, but I know I LOVE mine and have also read numerous others saying the same...even from guys who had the hurst one and then replaced it with the MGW.

As far as the nostalgia aspect, I too like the look. I ended up calling MGW and getting the proper shift lever (I was in on the test group and we didnt get any option at the time for which shifter thread we wanted on the shift lever). After getting the replacement one, I went on ebay and spent all of $15 to get a white 'hurst styled' shift ball. So now I have the 'look' I wanted that was retro, yet still get a short shifter that is phenominal. As a bonus, MGW has been outstanding in their quality of parts and he is just as good with the people side of the business. I couldnt be happier.

Andretti
Old 01-11-2010, 08:01 AM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

Link to shifter
Yes I have it and it changes the entire driving experience of the car. I went for the Hurst over the others for the nostalgia and looks reasons that you stated. Price was not the issue for me in this case.

When first installed it did rattle. I cured this by using nylon washers and also by greasing the pivot ball and by putting grease in threads of the shifter ball.

I have not driven other cars with other aftermarket shifters, but I would not trade the Hurst for anything.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM
bigtimmy021

I also have that hurst and it is great. I pretty much got it for the same reasons as you being that i wanted the old school look and a better shifter. I also wanted a notchy shifter as apposed to a smooth as butter one (which is what the mgw is from what ive heard). I have never tried another shifter so i can't compare, but i do love the hurst. Also i have never had any rattling from mine. If you are not sure about it you could always get the mgw, i dont think i have ever heard a bad thing about it.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:21 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Link to shifter

i had it and it was a great shifter but i did have the pivot ball rattle but there is a fix for that now just spray some grease in there and it fixs it. i got rid of it cause of that rattle and got the mgw which is awsome too it is more money but you get to adjust the throw and the height of the shaft to your liking which is great. but i did love the hurst to you can go wrong with either. if you need anything let me know
Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigtimmy021
I also have that hurst and it is great. I pretty much got it for the same reasons as you being that i wanted the old school look and a better shifter. I also wanted a notchy shifter as apposed to a smooth as butter one (which is what the mgw is from what ive heard). I have never tried another shifter so i can't compare, but i do love the hurst. Also i have never had any rattling from mine. If you are not sure about it you could always get the mgw, i dont think i have ever heard a bad thing about it.

not true the mgw is smooth if you have the it set that way but i have it on the highest setting and it is just as notchy as the hurst
Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 AM
07 FltRoc GT

I have had that shifter for about 5 or 6 months now. Its much more fun to drive now. I guess the only complaint i have is that it feels like it crunches into gear somtimes. But I think that is probably a product of bad syncros over the shifter though. I'd get it again if i had the choice. Plus you can't beat the look.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:03 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

have the hurst and love it.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:15 PM
bigtimmy021

Originally Posted by deekum1627
not true the mgw is smooth if you have the it set that way but i have it on the highest setting and it is just as notchy as the hurst
Gotcha, like i said i have never tried the mgw i was just going off what i have heard about it online. I agree with you though, i think the OP can't go wrong either way.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:12 PM
atomicpunk
1st Gear Member

I have it and like it alot. It clicks into gear- you know when it's in gear. Plus the throws are alot shorter. I had the rattle a little but I spray lube on the pivot ball when I'm under the car, now it's gone. If you want a smooth shifter the Hurst isn't for you.

I havent tried any other shifters on this car but for me it was a tossup between the Hurst and MGW. The pictures I have seen of the MGW shifter I can see it's a high quality product.

Quick Reply: Hurst Billet Comp Plus Shifter. Anyone have?