Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal on metal noise, slips under load...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Forcefed_Reptile

Default Metal on metal noise, slips under load...

As many times I have tried searching for "metal noise", I figured its just about time to give up and post. The details...

I recently replaced my 10.5" spec stage 3 for the updated 11" version, completed the break-in period at low rpm and made it to the track a couple times. A while later, I was doing a burnout in a parking lot and the tires spun as soon as I dumped the clutch and almost just as fast, I felt as if the clutch was slipping and the tires grabbed, accompanied by a horrendous metal to metal grinding noise. Note that there happened to be a puddle/water box, so it was not just rough pavement, and it was also on 20" tires, so axle breaking traction was not a reality.
I was initially concerned with the fact that I may have received a faulty clutch that had become too hot, or for whatever reason wore down to the rivets. After pulling the clutch from the car, it appeared fine, with just a slight hint of blue where it may have become warm/broken-in.

Some other details would include that after I replaced the clutch I did have a completely random, yet seldom howl, which I assumed was either the pilot bearing or input shaft bearing. When I say random, it made the noise before I went to the track once or twice, not once at the track, and maybe two more times after.
It would also be important to mention that, the day after this happened, I was able to drive (slow) about 5 miles to my garage. No problems with the engine running, idles normal. No problems with shifting, I put it up through 3rd with normal smooth shifts. Whenever I tried to apply more gas and put the car under a little load (@2-2.5k??), it would slip and make that metal on metal scraping/grinding sound. It is such a loud, piercing noise, that your hands immediately want to cover your ears out of natural reaction.

05 Mustang GT
Spec stage 3
Carbon fiber ds
3.73 gears
Auburn pro diff
31 spline moser
Everything else in the driveline can be assumed stock

If there are any details I left out, please let me know... Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

something like that happen to a friend of mines at the track doing a burnout.his end result was that needed to rebuilt the tranny. his did the same that you mention except his gears wouldnt go in smooth under load.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Forcefed_Reptile

I should clarify that I was never able to put my car under load... I gently crept my way up to 3rd, but probably never made it over 30mph or so. Im not a transmission expert by any means, however, there was no play in the input or tail shaft, and if I had actually broken a shaft or gears, I assume it would be in no driving condition at all, or at least make some sort of continuous noise rather than only under load... (????)