Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock/Detonation with SCT Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:54 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
If you blame the tune as the possible culprit right off the bat, then you may wind up with an adjusted tune that will needlessly lower your engine's power output.
Is there a way to data log knock? What air/fuel ratio does Brenspeed shoot for? I thought it would be common information given the amount of brenspeed customers on the forum. I'm going to flash back to 91 right now and go for a drive. It's a quick rattle sound right at 4,000 rpm.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Ok, just got back from some "testing." I basically drove on empty exit ramp roads in second gear and went WOT from about 30 MPH until about 4,500 rpm. The suspected "knock" is quite fussy around 4,000 RPM. I could repeat it. If I wasn't at WOT, it wouldn't happen. Then I switched to the 87 octane tune and I could not create the "knock" with the same testing method. Then I went to the 91 octane tune and the knock doesn't really seem present either.

Kind of a bummer I can't use my 93 octane tune. It's disappointing that the 93 tune is so temperamental. The sound I was hearing that I'm calling knock may actually have not been knock. Without some data logging or something I can't stop putting quotes around the words "knock" until I know for sure.

Brenspeed? Anyone? Comments related to data logging and a/f ratios?

I really don't think I have significant carbon build up with only 35,000 miles. I also have the stock intake so a loose CAI isn't the issue.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:06 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

replica you are asking good questions, now the
next thing for you to do is fire up the SCT live
link program and log the various knock related
items along with rpm, spark advance, & load.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:37 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
replica you are asking good questions, now the
next thing for you to do is fire up the SCT live
link program and log the various knock related
items along with rpm, spark advance, & load.
How do I log? I see there's a data logging option. How do I go about logging and using the data?
Old 01-21-2010, 06:48 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it's not that difficult to datalog, but the procedure
is too involved for me to write out. if you go
to sct's website, there are instructions. this
is how i learned how to do it.

if you have an xcal2/3 and a laptop with livelink,
you are all set.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Great thanks. I'll post results.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:42 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by replica
Ok, just got back from some "testing." I basically drove on empty exit ramp roads in second gear and went WOT from about 30 MPH until about 4,500 rpm. The suspected "knock" is quite fussy around 4,000 RPM. I could repeat it. If I wasn't at WOT, it wouldn't happen. Then I switched to the 87 octane tune and I could not create the "knock" with the same testing method. Then I went to the 91 octane tune and the knock doesn't really seem present either.

Kind of a bummer I can't use my 93 octane tune. It's disappointing that the 93 tune is so temperamental. The sound I was hearing that I'm calling knock may actually have not been knock. Without some data logging or something I can't stop putting quotes around the words "knock" until I know for sure.

I really don't think I have significant carbon build up with only 35,000 miles. I also have the stock intake so a loose CAI isn't the issue.
Since you have now verified that the pinging goes away with a lower octane tune, they should be able to adjust the tune for you. Just send them an email directly with the info above.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:07 PM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by replica

If you are having some tune issues (pinging), give us a call, we would be more than happy to get you taken care of. Some cars are pickier than others and a tiny amount of timing needs to be pulled. A lot of the time, it is the octane issues. If your problem persists give us a call, we stand by our products and service and don't want an unsatisfied customer.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:11 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BRENSPEED
If you are having some tune issues (pinging), give us a call, we would be more than happy to get you taken care of. Some cars are pickier than others and a tiny amount of timing needs to be pulled. A lot of the time, it is the octane issues. If your problem persists give us a call, we stand by our products and service and don't want an unsatisfied customer.

Great, thanks for the response.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:36 PM
johnpagenola
1st Gear Member

Default Similar problem with 87 octane tune

I have a Brenspeed 87 octane tune with the Bullitt CAI. When the weather is hot, there is serious pinging when doing anything other than putzing along. I now use 93 or 91 octane and have no problems.

Quick Reply: Knock/Detonation with SCT Tune?