Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing GTA's or any other muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:03 AM
NDN GQ
2nd Gear Member

Default Installing GTA's or any other muffler

I bought GTA's and will be installing them tomorrow. One of my buddy's who's going to help me asked if I had exhaust hanger pliers.

Any of you who did a muffler swap yourself, did you need exhaust hanger pliers or can it be done without having one?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:06 AM
rlh6805
1st Gear Member

No, I didn't need them when I installed my GTA's. You will need to remove the hangers from the car too, not just the mufflers from the hangers. There in one bolt on the drivers side that was a bit hard to access but it is not too bad. Easy job overall.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:07 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

I installed them in my garage without jacking up the car in about an hour. Easy install.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:19 AM
NDN GQ
2nd Gear Member

cool, thanks for the info guys. car only has 4k miles on it so I doubt anything is rusted in or anything like that. I've never done an exhaust on my own so I figured its better to check rather than start without tools i may need.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Please read TacoBill's HowTo in the stickies. His write-up has all the info you need to install your axlebacks and adjust the tips to fit correctly in the bumper cutouts. There should be absolutely NO bending or cutting required.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:02 AM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

No pin pliers needed, but if you plan on removing the hangers, a 13mm ratcheting box end wrench will make it much easier to remove the bolts you can't see.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:27 AM
NDN GQ
2nd Gear Member

Saw the pix. Thanks for the heads up Nuke. Wasnt aware there was an install thread. That gives me a good visual of what to expect.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NDN GQ
Saw the pix. Thanks for the heads up Nuke. Wasnt aware there was an install thread. That gives me a good visual of what to expect.
You're quite welcome. The amount of info in the forums can answer probably 95% of all questions. I always recommend that newbies read thru the forum and sub forums, especially the stickies, and absorb as much as they can. Besides the install info, it'll arm you well against unscrupulous shops.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:27 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

The first time I did mufflers it took me about 2 hours. Which is funny b/c now I can do it in 30 min tops.

The reason is I didn't know what to expect and I also had a hard time with the hanger bolts. The stock mufflers take up so much space it's hard to get a wrench in there. Once I finally got them off, I noticed the stock mufflers had a notch where a small "****" thing was on the stock over-axle pipe. My aftermarket mufflers did not have this notch (none do) so I thought they would not go on all the way as-is so I went to go cut my own notch out. Turns out that was un-necessary. So that was wasted time there.

With small "mufflers," like boomtubes, loudmouths, etc you can remove the muffler without taking the hangers off. I did it once to bend one of my boomtube hangers so it would stop touching my bumper. I'd rather do that than mess with the mid-pipe.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:34 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

The stock Ford exhaust hangers are so poorly designed. I don't know what they were thinking.

Quick Reply: Installing GTA's or any other muffler