Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for V6 owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

A couple years ago, my buddy and I were both looking to get Mustangs to replace our old cars.

He was trying to decide between a new Bullitt or a new Pony Package V6. He checked with his insurance company and found that the Bullitt was going to cost $1000/year more than the PP. So he decided to go with the V6.

He's not particularly into modding his car. Now that I think about it, the 3 mods that I know of came from me. I got him GT mufflers one Christmas. I ended up helping him install one. He still hasn't gotten the 2nd one installed.

Got him Silverstar bulbs for his b-day. Installed those for him too, haha.

And this Christmas I gave him some American Muscle gift cards to put towards a CAI. He still wasn't going to buy one, and I told our other friend to give him gift cards too, to make him buy the damn thing.

As for me, I got a used V6 with stereo and leather upgrades. It was super cheap, and it still had a factory warranty, as well as a certified used car warranty.

I did suspension, wheels, tires, exhaust, gears, driveshaft etc, which I would have done even if I got a GT. So I don't count that as part of the cost difference.

I did get in on an X-Charger group buy, so that was a nice upgrade for a good price. V6 with an X was still cheaper than a same year and mileage GT.

Recently I've kinda considered a V8 swap, but it wouldn't be worth it unless I did a blower on it also. But it never ends. There's always something faster or cooler.

I'm pretty much staying with the current setup. Will add an intercooler, and that's it.

Next car will be a Factory Five Cobra with a 408 stroker. It'll be even faster(and cheaper) than a GT500 Super Snake, so I won't have to keep upgrading Mustangs
Old 01-22-2010, 03:15 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Just a little on the flip side story.. when I first started looking into s197 mustangs, I started with the v6. There were actually quite a few grabber oranges in v6 in this area for sale at the time. Then a friend of mine told me that only GT's had the larger fog lights. As cheesy as it may sound, the stock (GT) fog lights was one of the selling points for me, I LOVED them (and still do). It really tied the look of the car together for me. The other part was the fact that I am not much of a techie and wanted something with a little more kick out of the box and the sound. I don't plan to do much more with performance, if anything, maybe suspension or exhaust, and rather continue to work with the aesthetics, and in the end, it's just for my own personal enjoyment. Just a thought from a GT owner, we aren't all out there just to see who's better than who.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:36 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
The same can be asked to those who mod their GT, why not just buy the Cobra?
I've always asked the same question when people say "What's the point of buying a 6? Shoulda just got a GT." But to answer the question, I bought my 6, during a time when I needed a car, but at the same time, wanted a mustang. Well, during the time I was shopping around, all I could afford was a V6. I'm not that really a horsepower junkie, so I don't care about making it faster than a GT, but like to personalize my ride and make it look good. So that's what I was focusing on for the past 2 years. Now, I want to basically make it better than it is. So I'm looking at suspension and making it a little quicker. Later down the road when all my debt is gone, hopefully I'll be able to afford whatever new GT they have out. As it stands right now, I love the way she looks and sounds, and don't regret buying a V6 as my first Mustang. It's not the engine that makes it a Mustang. The fact that it's a Mustang is what makes it a Mustang. And, people's love for the car, whether V6, Gt, Cobra, Boss, or whatever is what has made it a success for over 40 years. Also, let's not forget that the Mustang started out as a 6.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

My first pony was a 64 1/2 ragtop I bought 4 days after the Mustang came out. I was 19 and boy, did that car get a lot of attention. I'm sure it would be worth a lot if I still had it. It was the best time of my life. MY wife and I were dating when I had that car. I've always had in the back of my mind I'd have another one someday. The mid life crisis hit last summer and I bought a 2009 v-6 premium rag top. My first one was light blue, this one is Vista Blue. I found this one used, and got a pretty good deal on it. 45 years later, and I've got the 45th year edition. I've done a little personalizing. 2010 GT take off wheels and tires, bulllit grille, shock tower brace, and GT duals that I haven't put on yet. Many reasons why this one is just fine. Insurance and fuel costs for two. I was also able to pay cash, rather than get a loan for most of a new GT's. Another reason is I already have 2 grand-kids driving. As long as they stay trustworthy I don't mind them using the car from time to time. A good reason to have the v-6 auto rather than the v-8 5 speed. It's all bundled up for the winter, but I'm counting the days for top down time in central Illinois. Already checking out for Ford/Mustang shows in the Midwest. Let me know of any in this area. Anderson Ford in Clinton had a really nice one last summer. Ready for cruzin' The v-6 will get me there and back.....Terry
Old 01-22-2010, 03:58 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

A lot of people do get the mod bug after they purchased their V6.
It's not always planned but they realized that this car is fun to mess with...
For the common guy or girl, it doesn't need to be fast to be fun.
After all, people joining Mustang forums are still a minority over the rest of the Mustang owners out there.

As far as why making a 6 banger go fast, it's all in the challenge itself like previously mentioned...
I'm sure that guys with 10 second sixxers sport a bigger smile then the ones with a 10' GT.
There are a lot fewer of them, that's one reason already...
Old 01-22-2010, 04:24 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Uhhhmmmm.
Insurance reasons.
Most are not adding power adders just
unleashing the HP Ford built in to the V6.
Its quite a money saving fun vehicle.

14.8 1/4 mile
99 MPH
V6 stock
Old 01-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I, too, had the mid-life bug hit after son #1 graduated college. I bought myself a GT since I always had V8's as kid. But for the woman that put getting a Stang in my mind in the first place, she wanted and I bought her a Legend Lime '06 V6 Pony Package. She didn't want a GT since she already (admittedly) has a lead foot. She just wanted "pretty". Yeah, she did ask that I install my GT takeoff axleback on her car but she's added a number of visual mods to, in her own words "give it attitude". She loves her V6 and driving it gives her goose bumps. And that's all that matters.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:48 PM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

Pretty simple really my 2010 was just over $20000 with rebates plus 0% ford credit financing where a 2010 gt same options was almost $26,000 at invoice plus I couldn't get longer than 36 months on the 0% financing so at that time*last september* I got the 4.0 fwiw my 06 4.0 5-speed with just a intake/tune/zabtek tb sd coil on an 87 mileage tune from vmp and 20" wheels made 207 whp & 242 wtq and I averaged around 24mpg with long trips averaging 27+ and my insurance was about 55 more a month for the gt. Now I will say to be honest that there is NOTHING imo that can match the sound of a american v-8 idling/revving

PS. on the mod question i've yet to spend $2500 and a lot of that you would do to a gt anyways or at least a lot of us would like the wheels/exhaust/intake/suspension/shift ****/pedals/headlight splitters/blackout panel/custom paint/grilles roush side splitters/graphics/stb etc. Oh yeah I really did like the stock v6 front ends better

Last edited by 3.73-11; 01-22-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Redfire_07
2nd Gear Member

I modded mine because on my 16th birthday I was graced with the ultimate present by getting a brand new mustang! I was thrilled, my brother already had a mustang and I was already I love with them. So I started moddifing with the money that i make from working, and I still havent stopped. And of course as you can probably guess being a teenage and driving a mustang the insurance is not cheap in an regard. When people look at my car or hear it go down the rode the average person has know clue what is under the hood. My car is modified enough that even a lot of the mustang guys couldnt pick out the v6 in a line of mustangs. I love my car being visually as good looking as a GT, My car is one of the best looking cars in the High School parking lot, and I take pride in that. And the other advantage is you get to watch idiots who have know clue whats under the hood try and race me!

Here is a current picture of my baby!

Last edited by Redfire_07; 01-22-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:00 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Here are my reasons:

1. I test drove a GT. Before I knew it I was up to 100mph on the freeway. I knew I would get into serious trouble if I had one.
2. I have a new driver at home. No way in the world I was going to put him behind the wheel of a GT!
3. Wife finally agreed to let me to get any ragtop after 25 years of nagging. (MG roadster I had when we got married was a disaster!) Found a STEAL on my Sixer as a one year old used car and had to pull the trigger that day before it was gone. Got convertible top and leather for much less than a base GT. In fact, it was less than I would have spent on a same year Honda Civic.
4. Insurance cost. Did I mention I have a teenaged driver at home?
5. Like most new Stang owners, I had no idea that I would get the modding bug when I bought it. My wife sort of tolerates my upgrades because I paid so little for the car.
6. The only performance mods I've done are duals and swaybars. Those mods were cheap and easy, and they dramatically changed the attitude of the car. It's not a GT, but it's respectable.
7. I live in the middle of a big city with horrible traffic. In a GT I'd just be climbing over the car ahead of me at every stoplight.
8. It's still a Mustang. I get compliments on it each and every day.

Last edited by atldave; 01-22-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Question for V6 owners