Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for V6 owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:40 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

Default Question for V6 owners

I have been reading around the forums and have a question for you V6 owners. This is not a V6 bash in any way I'm just curious.

I see on here that there are alot of V6 owners who are doing performance mods to their cars for more power. My question is that if you wanted more power why did you getthe V6 and not the GT? I can understand if you couldn't afford the note on a GT and got the V6 instead but then why sink thousands of dollars into the V6? For all the extra money you spend on mods you could have just gotten the GT. Again I'm not saying anything negative about the V6 I just would like to know some of the reasons for getting a V6 then spending all that money to make it look and perform like the GT? Thanks for enlighting me on this issue.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:54 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

My story: I owned 1999 Mustang V6 (paid for) and was planning on saving up some cash, until i paid off my wife's car. Once I paid my wife's car off, I was going to purchase a GT. Unfortunatley, my 99 Mustang was totaled out in an accident due to some careless driver pulling out in front of me. At that time, I was still making payments on my wife's car and could not afford purchasing a GT. I needed a car and could only afford the Mustang V6 and decided to get that.
Due to getting a GT in the near future, I am only doing miminal modifications on the V6.
I am planning on getting a tuner w/ custom tunes come tax time. After that, I will be done with the mods.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:12 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

my car is my daily driver,the car itself was cheaper, its what was available, i needed the cheaper insurance and higher MPG. as far as sinking "thousands" into it, a CAI, gt sways, a gt muffler bosch plat. IR sparkplugs ran me a total of about $300 (and getting about 24 mpg). but one of the biggest, and maybe the dumbest reason is that it is less of a temptation to race people and to speed. As kevinmalec hopefully already knows, Georgia has passed a new "super speeder" law. this tacks an extra $200 bux to the already outrageous ticket fines here if caught going just 75mph or higher...
Old 01-22-2010, 10:31 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I couldn't find a Windveil blue GT.

Before I say this, no GT/V6 bashing or I am moving the thread to never never land.

My car had everything I wanted, interior options etc, except it wasn't a GT. So I bought it, put a supercharger on it, rims, tires, suspension, alum, driveshaft etc. Now it is faster than a GT, better handling, etc. and I still paid less than I would have for the exact same car but with a V8.

Do I miss the sound of a V8? Yes, but I love the sound of my S/C also. And before any of you go off saying (yes but you could have spent that money on a GT yadda yadda).

If my car was sitting exactly the way it is now on a car lot, and there was a stock windveil blue GT next to it, and they were both the exact same price. I would buy my supercharged V6 over the stock GT.

Point being... a V8 doesn't make it a Mustang. I enjoyed the modding, and customizing, and the fun I have with my V6 of Fury!

P.S. - Don't make this a bashing thread.. I will have to crack some skulls
Old 01-22-2010, 10:36 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

I was put in an unfortunate situation when my 2004 F250 with 130,000 miles blew a rod, repair bill was $6,000 for a jasper engine. I had one payment left when this happened. I have always wanted to get a mustang, I would love to have bought the V8 but after 5 years paying $750 a month and not expecting to have a car payment, I went as basic as possible therefore 2010 v6 base model, cloth seats, manual trans, base wheels. The only mods I will add to this car is dual exhaust, and cai. But overall its a Mustang thats all that matters...isn't it.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

I started out thinking the V6 would save me money on insurance & fuel. I pulled the trigger too soon before doing my research...I got a black 2005 V6 and put a few grand into it. Realizing it would NEVER be the car I really wanted, and after about 9 months of researching and reviewing deals on GT's I found my 500 rwhp supercharged 2006 ROUSH - a car that could NOT be a daily driver (at least not in Boston!) - so now I have the best of both worlds... a COOL daily driver V6 Mustang AND a SICK ROUSH to take out on special days and turn 11's in the 1/4 mile.

Needless to say... it's great driving TWO Mustangs!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:03 AM
05raggtop4.0
1st Gear Member

We bought ours due to the fact we wanted a Convertible Mustang. We could have and do care less whether it has 6 or 8 cylinders. Its a Mustang, none the less. We have added some appearance mods and suspensions mods, but have zero plans to do much from a performance standpoint. We are both beyond the "mine is better than yours stage" in our lives and just enjoy the heck of of driving our car and the attention it brings from the 99% of the population that cant tell a 4 cyl from a 12 cyl! That same 99% that care to observe can sure spot a Mustang, though.

Terry & Lisa

Last edited by 05raggtop4.0; 01-22-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
the_pony_express
1st Gear Member

At the time I bought my car, I didn't really have much money to throw into it. I was looking at '03s and '04s because I really wanted a Mustang and they were affordable. The thought of a S197 was only that- a thought, until I came across an '05 V6 for a ridiculously good price ($11,000 in '07), and I immediately pulled the trigger. I was ecstatic.

I pretty much agree with ODDYSEY, if my car was placed next to a GT of similar style, and I was asked to choose between the two, I would still choose my V6. Although right now it is not as fast, I have plans to eventually get it there. Just the fact that it is my own car and project that I've worked hard on with the money that I can spare makes it worth it.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:59 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I had an '82 5.0 GT and sold it to a car collector 6 years ago. I vowed then that I would get another Mustang especially after my heart skipped a beat when the S197 came out. I always loved the late '60s Mustang but was too young to drive it, so Ford made it possible for us old pharts to relive the good old days.
While shopping for a Truck/Van I told my husband that I liked the look of the Pony Package V6 and wanted to buy one. That day, I bought two brand new vehicles and paid cash. Yes, with the amount that I spent, I could have easily purchased a GT500, but I really loved the look of the Pony Package.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

When I first joined these forums, I was really suprised how alot of v8 owners 'look down' on v6 owners/cars. I even went through the whole phase, 'Help! I want to trade in for a GT'. But then some of the nicer v6 owners chimed in and gave me options.

Whenever I see a v6 Pony beat a v8 Pony...well that's just amazing. You don't see a lot of v6 Mustangs soup'd up to beat most v8's on the road...or any cars worth mentioning anyways.

I'd rather soup up my entry level car and make it faster than a GT. YES, I coulda bought a GT, put that money into it...be faster blablablabla....But the fact that an entry level car can whoop on its older bretheren is just a breath of freash air ~IMO~

So in a nutshell, I bought my v6 'cause it was a MUSTANG and also knowning you can make ANYTHING fast, so when I DO decide to go that route, I'll be going all out on the motor(As soon as I'm done having fun doing exterior mods).

Quick Reply: Question for V6 owners