Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortec supercharger not in cold weather/Saleen s/c the same??

Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 AM
ralphmustang
2nd Gear Member

this week he is going away for the trouble codes ,but vortec told also about the weather.... first i was think to put heater blower next to the unit so before i start just the switch the power on and heat the supercharger..
Old 01-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The supercharger will heat up as you drive the car, just go easy on it until your temperature gauge reads what it should.

A good rule of thumb is to not beat on the car when its extremely hot OR extremely cold outside. 32F however, you should be just fine. That is not very cold and the car should run great. I would not start thinking about taking it easy until it was less than probably 25F out, or hotter than 95F. This would be the same with any supercharger though.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:57 AM
ralphmustang
2nd Gear Member

what about the oil for the superchager ?? are you change in the summer or winter ???
Old 01-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
The supercharger will heat up as you drive the car, just go easy on it until your temperature gauge reads what it should.

A good rule of thumb is to not beat on the car when its extremely hot OR extremely cold outside. 32F however, you should be just fine. That is not very cold and the car should run great. I would not start thinking about taking it easy until it was less than probably 25F out, or hotter than 95F. This would be the same with any supercharger though.
Yeah, but most of the time it's under freezing here it's snowing too LOL!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ralphmustang
what about the oil for the superchager ?? are you change in the summer or winter ???
The first oil change in the blower itself is recommended at 2500 miles, and then every 7500 miles max after that. You should check the oil level in the blower periodically to be safe (about every 2500 miles). You can find information on how to change the oil in the blower on the Vortech website, and also in your install manual if you still have it (if not, you can download one on the website). I changed mine for the first time recently and it was VERY easy to do. Took me 10 minutes, and I was being slow and careful.

You should ONLY use the Vortech lubricant in the supercharger!! It comes in 4oz bottles that is the right amount for the blower. Your kit should have come with a couple extras.

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=162

Old 01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
ralphmustang
2nd Gear Member

oke what about your gears.... i have heard that for the downshift and upshift you must get back to the dyno for your gears with a automatic
Old 04-29-2010, 01:18 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

.. from what I gather, it's the externally lubricated kits that may have a problem, because in very very cold weather the oil is too thick and the supercharger unit itself may not have enough oil in there during start up... = boom! The V3s, should be okay. Plus it's not 25 degrees , it's NEGATIVE 25 that they are stating, which is pretty damn friggin cold...

Last edited by stealth_GT; 04-29-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:37 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You had problems with the install from day one.
The Vortech is a proven product.
We also have colder weather in the US in some States

Who ever did the job for you is a freaking amateur and should be in a different field, maybe Government, lol.

Find a pro in your area and you'll have no more problems.
I gave you an address to go to in Belgium, a while back.
Should have used those guys...