Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortec supercharger not in cold weather/Saleen s/c the same??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 AM
ralphmustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Vortec supercharger not in cold weather/Saleen s/c the same??

Hi,

How are you?
Many years wait and think before finally installed a supercharger for my mustang 2005 gt .End up with Vortec HO but know when installed vortec told me it can not operate below F32 and will cause failure....i work at night and can not install block heaters etc ......What about Saleen superchargers can the cause failure or work with low temp??

The Netherlands is not extreme winters...but want to drive my car !! Rang rover and other cars have superchagers and the can drive in extreme winters..

Mail from Vortec:
No.... it has nothing to do with driving the car after it warms up... the problem occurs on start up. your oil is cold (so its thick)your motor is cold(metal expands) your supercharger is cold(metal expands) the expansion causes the tolerances to get much smaller then designed. this plus the lack of oil due to cold temps causes the bearings and gears to spin without oil creating heat and failure.
but you can not operate the supercharger in cold weather.. so anything close to f32 the unit should not be used. the cold weather could cause failure of the supercharger

So can someone tell about the saleen superchargers....in the winter ...
Old 01-25-2010, 09:32 AM
CalmLikeaBomb
2nd Gear Member

Wow, thats kind of weird. I have a Paxton Novi High output, very simliar to Vortec, and never heard of this. Ive driven my car below 32 degrees with no issues, my car seemed to like it.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:01 AM
ralphmustang
2nd Gear Member

you have a awesome car !!!!
yes that is what vortec told me.....so what must i do??
Old 01-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Ralph, this sounds ridiculous. I have never heard of such a thing. I've driven mine on days when it was colder than 32 degrees and it was just fine. The guy above just reported the same thing on his Paxton which is the same blower with a different logo on it. You should let any car warm up before driving it hard, whether it has a supercharger or not. The car should run BETTER when its cold outside.

If that e-mail is from someone at Vortech, he/she seems to not know what the hell they are talking about. Metal contracts when its cold, not expands. That right there should be a red flag indicating you are not dealing with a highly intelligent person on the end of the wire.

The reason your car isn't running right is because something was not installed correctly, and/or there is a problem with the tune. If you are running the canned Vortech tune, then it is more likely that something was not installed properly. Vortech has been making superchargers along with Paxton for many years now. Its a proven design, and a reliable kit. Odds are your problem is minor, but we just can't really tell you whats wrong with it by seeing a couple of trouble codes.

Buying a Saleen isn't likely to fix many problems if you have the same shop who clearly doesn't know what they are doing with Mustangs, install the thing. If I were you, I'd get in front of the car, and call up Vortech and talk with a tech person. Tell them what is going on, what the codes are, etc. Maybe that person can point you in the right direction.

Last edited by Mudflap; 01-25-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:16 AM
ralphmustang
2nd Gear Member

yeah ...wish i was in the USA and let my car dynotuned....... if i see al those rwhp numbers..hahaha

yes it scared me , now at this time when it is colder in The Netherlands to drive my car.....
Old 01-25-2010, 10:19 AM
CalmLikeaBomb
2nd Gear Member

Im not sure if I missed it, but are you having any problems with the car right now? If not I wouldnt worry. Just be sure to let the car warm up when you first crank it.

The Paxton MANUAL itself says do not operate the supercharger above 2000k RPMS until the unit has been given time to warm up. Just follow that rule and you should be fine.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Your problem is with the install my friend. I wouldn't be afraid to drive it because its cold outside, I'd be afraid to drive it because clearly something is not installed quite right. Unfortunately you are so far away from us, that we can't help too much. My advice is to try and get Vortech on the phone. OR, you could try calling Brenspeed in the states and ask to talk with a tech, and in return agree to let them mail you a custom tune or something as payment to them (that would probably cost you $100 or less usd).

Last edited by Mudflap; 01-25-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Drove my Saleen when it was 3 degrees out, that's -16C and it was fine, just stay out of boost

I do find that hard to believe with the vortech.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah once the car is up to operating temperature, no matter how cold it is outside, that blower should be happy with the cold intake charge and the warm engine behind it. It should run awesome when its that cold outside.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:30 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

The only thing is when getting into boost and it's cold is denser air take more fuel, so you might be be tuned for it or your fuel system can't handle it.

As a rule for myself I stay out of boost when it's under freezing as there isn't much traction to be found anyhow.

Quick Reply: Vortec supercharger not in cold weather/Saleen s/c the same??