Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mustang w/ Mystery Parts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:24 PM
HeadonaStick
1st Gear Member

Default New Mustang w/ Mystery Parts...

So, I buy my car slightly used. It has a CAI that I believe to be from Steeda along with a Flowmaster exhaust system.

Today I was poking around in the engine bay and I notice the lower pulley (with the timing marks) is a Steeda.

My questions for the experts are: what other mods are likely to have been performed, and what do I do about things like the tune (if it has one - I assume it does since there's no CEL) and other possibly undesirable mods?

Also, what do I do next?

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

the only practical thing to do about the
tune, is to just consider it your stock
tune and move forward.

Originally Posted by HeadonaStick

what do I do about things like the tune (if it has one)
Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

The steeda intake is great/ if any doubt, just do a quick search for a pic. I would be worried about the tune being stuck on your car and to where the tuner is? Unless you plan to mod more or have some bad issue with the current tune? I would be happy with it. have you looked for any suspension mods? The underdrive pulley is kind of a worthless mod.
You should be worried about what octane tune is loaded for the car and what level of gas you will need to continue to buy to avoid knock. I run a 92 tune and always fuel up with 93. Also, if all else fails, there are ways in which your car can go into the dealerships for repair(under warranty) and have the tune accidentally lost and set back to stock. But you don't have the stock parts on had do you? Airbox, inlet, etc.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

where did you get the car? I would try to contact the seller. If you got it at a dealer, let them know that they did not disclose the info in the sale, and they either need to contact the previous owner and give him your number, or just give you his.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:44 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HeadonaStick
So, I buy my car slightly used. It has a CAI that I believe to be from Steeda along with a Flowmaster exhaust system.

Today I was poking around in the engine bay and I notice the lower pulley (with the timing marks) is a Steeda.

My questions for the experts are: what other mods are likely to have been performed, and what do I do about things like the tune (if it has one - I assume it does since there's no CEL) and other possibly undesirable mods?

Also, what do I do next?

Thanks!
I'd put it on a dyno just to verify you aren't on the stock tune with a lean a/f ratio.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 PM
HeadonaStick
1st Gear Member

I'm actually pretty happy with the way it runs now and I run 93 octane anyway, although it would be nice to know if that were required. I'm also worried about losing the tune - if I buy a tuner can I use it to save the tune I have on it?

As for the pulley, I don't know if it is an underdrive - the ac works flawlessly and I thought an underdrive pulley would cause some ac issues.

I suspect getting the original owner's info will be a problem... it was a repo and the dealer got it at auction.

I just don't want to spend money on a mod that may already be done, and I don't want to break a mod that is already on it by modding something else... I am really focussed on suspension mods anyway, but I want to be sure my engine is squared away.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:12 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

oh... yeah, info wont happen... even if it did, wouldnt want to become target of anger from previous owner. IF its a steeda pulley, 90% sure its a under drive. If its a steeda intake, its 90 MM and is tune required. If your not throwing CELs it has a tune. I guess measurng the MAF size would be step one for a confirmation. if thats 90MM you know its a aftermarket, and probably the steeda.

If you can get a picture and post it, of the exhaust manifolds, would be pretty easy to see if you have headers or stockers.

If the person had those mods you have already said, take a look at the control arms to the rear axle. If there Tubular or adjustable, or have any kind of named marking on them, there aftermarket, if there cheep stamped steel with no back on one side. In other words there stamped like a U with rubber bushings, there stock.

Look around on the rear end for any markings. If they had gears put in, the shop should have written the ratio on the housing some where, mine is marked with the white paint stick on the diff cover.

Look at the tumbler plates at the bottom of the intake. On the back side I belive you should see some arms that come off and go to a drive assembly. If there are no arms there, your probably running some delete plates.

As to where you should go from here. Check that stuff out, whatver hasnt been doing on this list, would be where I would go next for you. Though any of these parts, would also need a tuner and a tune. So long as you can confirm what mods have been done, any reputable internet tuner can get you a decent tune. Brenspeed would be my recomendation but theres probably some good shops down in FL also.

Good luck and grats on the bonus material!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:43 PM
HeadonaStick
1st Gear Member

Thanks! I'll check those things out when the sun comes up!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
oh... yeah, info wont happen... even if it did, wouldnt want to become target of anger from previous owner. IF its a steeda pulley, 90% sure its a under drive. If its a steeda intake, its 90 MM and is tune required. If your not throwing CELs it has a tune. I guess measurng the MAF size would be step one for a confirmation. if thats 90MM you know its a aftermarket, and probably the steeda.

If you can get a picture and post it, of the exhaust manifolds, would be pretty easy to see if you have headers or stockers.

If the person had those mods you have already said, take a look at the control arms to the rear axle. If there Tubular or adjustable, or have any kind of named marking on them, there aftermarket, if there cheep stamped steel with no back on one side. In other words there stamped like a U with rubber bushings, there stock.

Look around on the rear end for any markings. If they had gears put in, the shop should have written the ratio on the housing some where, mine is marked with the white paint stick on the diff cover.

Look at the tumbler plates at the bottom of the intake. On the back side I belive you should see some arms that come off and go to a drive assembly. If there are no arms there, your probably running some delete plates.

As to where you should go from here. Check that stuff out, whatver hasnt been doing on this list, would be where I would go next for you. Though any of these parts, would also need a tuner and a tune. So long as you can confirm what mods have been done, any reputable internet tuner can get you a decent tune. Brenspeed would be my recomendation but theres probably some good shops down in FL also.

Good luck and grats on the bonus material!
not true...when steeda first started making CAI's for S197's, they were 80mm. Thats what i had on my 05, and also caused alot of confusion and problems when getting a tune from brenspeed. They too thought that all steeda's were 90mm which made my car run rich as hell
Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

congrats on the added bonuses....i think everyone here agrees with me that steeda makes some pretty god damn good stuff lol

Quick Reply: New Mustang w/ Mystery Parts...