MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Tire cleaning questions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/583762-tire-cleaning-questions.html)

LordRipberger 01-28-2010 01:18 PM

Tire cleaning questions

Hey,

I had someone, who is a car/motorcycle enthusiast, tell me that by washing my ties with a scrub brush may be cleaning it but it is actually taking off a UV protective coating. Therefore, over time my tires would wear faster, even start getting cracks because of the damaged caused by the sun's rays.

First, I want to know if this is true. Should I stop scrubbing my tires.
And is there a good spray to put this coating back on while making my tires have that "new-tire" shine.

If there is no UV coating, what is the best spray to use to get my tire shine and that lasts the longest?

Thanks.

NOLA26 01-28-2010 01:26 PM

Not sure about a UV coating but I've been cleaning my car since I was 16 and have always scrubed my tires. I have never had a tire dry out on me. I figure even if there is a Uv coating it is to prevent the tire from drying out. As long as you use a quality tire shine it should protect the tire just fine.

LordRipberger 01-28-2010 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by NOLA26 (Post 6780553)
As long as you use a quality tire shine it should protect the tire just fine.

Suggestions on that "quality tire shine"?

MoneyShot 01-28-2010 01:52 PM

armor all tire shine, both regular and pro, will do the same thing. i normally don't "scrub" my tires before hand though

oops, meant to post that in your other tire shine thread you just posted

Art161 01-28-2010 03:26 PM

Tires are rather complex items. The tire itself provides some UV protection. This protection replenishes itself as the tire heats. The protective ingredient moves to the surface of the tire. That is one reason why a spare tire can sometimes rot more quickly than a tire that is used regularly.

LordRipberger 01-28-2010 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Art161 (Post 6780778)
Tires are rather complex items. The tire itself provides some UV protection. This protection replenishes itself as the tire heats. The protective ingredient moves to the surface of the tire. That is one reason why a spare tire can sometimes rot more quickly than a tire that is used regularly.

So would you say that the scrubbing is a bad thing?

Deadbeat 01-28-2010 04:29 PM

As long as you put on a tire shine after you're done scrubbing I don't think scrubbing will do any harm to your tire (I've been cleaning my sidewalls like this for years). I use Maguires spray btw. Haven't come across a tire shiner better than them. You might want to check out the 'Detailing' section :)

Art161 01-28-2010 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by LordRipberger (Post 6780859)
So would you say that the scrubbing is a bad thing?

I think scrubbing is fine as long as you use the proper brush. For example, don't use a wire brush! You could also use a sponge or something else that is not overly abrasive. Let the cleaning product do a lot of the work chemically, and use the brush or whatever to agitate the cleaner.

alkemist 01-28-2010 07:28 PM

Just be careful you don't get any of that tire shine on your tread, may cause you to slip.

budders 01-28-2010 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by alkemist (Post 6781254)
Just be careful you don't get any of that tire shine on your tread, may cause you to slip.

BURN RUBBER < easy fix!