Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To blow or not to blow.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:28 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sbrimer
that is the question. Well, the time has come and for the last two nights I have laid awake in bed asking myself this very question. To blow or not to blow.......in case anyone was curious, and let's clear things up, I am talking about a supercharger!!!

I have an 08 GT with about 10,000 miles with a few typical mods. I now have the cash, $6,500, and I am leaning towards the Kennebell. My concern is destroying my engine. If that were to happen, I don't know what I would do. The car isn't yet paid for but.........

I have no real need for a supercharger, but damn I'd love to play with one. It's kinda like having an extra girlfriend, "you don't really NEED one, but they sure are fun to play with!"

Anyway, back to my supercharger issue. I've heard horror stories, so I just don't know what to do. I do know that the secret is a good tune, other than that I'm concern.
Sounds good but I would draw a few things from your statements.

The Kennebell... I think is a bit out of your price range.

Also, the Kennebell is no doubt a great kit, however they are at the very top end of what is considered "Safe" for our motors. The stage 1 kit is advertised over 500 rwhp. Its a bit much.

Your conserned about the reliability of the tune and the components, Have you checked Brenspeeds kits? They have many options that have all been road tested and plenty of members run with great sucess and longevity. If you want to gain over 100HP and have some money to spare, you can grab a basic Vortech kit for 3800, or if you want the most power you can get with that amount of money, take a look at the Edelbrock kit they sell. Provides the most power per boost level, making 500HP but doing it at lower boost is a little safer for your motor then if you need to use a few more lbs to get there. You want the most absolute most reliable and road tested kit for that money, look at the Saleen kits they sell.

Most will tell you there off the shelf kits are top notch and have great, reliable tunes, didnt want this to sound like a commercial for them or anything, just have had very good experience with everything I have bought from them.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

If I had $6500 and a car note, I'd put the money into the car, but not under the hood.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:30 AM
GlassVapor
2nd Gear Member

Edelbrock FTW, screw it

Old 01-31-2010, 07:38 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Tune is critical but not the only consideration. How are you going to use all that new power? Regular visits to the track? KBs are terrific by the way.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 AM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

You only live once and tomorrow is not guaranteed. Go for it. I'd also try to pay it off as soon as possible. I'm paying mine off in July and no later than August, the Whipple is going on it.