Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tokico D-Spec rear shocks clunking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:35 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 760Mustang
This is the problem. You're supposed to reuse that little rubber guy on the Tokico's. Compare the hole in the bushing to the size that fits in the shock tower mount. That bushing's size is how much play the shock has to move without it. Reinstall the shocks with the shock tower mount bushing and you're grand.
I wasn't sure about reusing the old bushing but I took it off the old shock anyway, since you mentioned to reuse the bushing, and I was going to install it on the Tokico but then I noticed this...

The Tokico bushing DOES have a nipple that goes through the shock tower hole. DOH! I could've sworn it was just a flat hockey puck. Now I'm back to square one and wondering where the sound is coming from. That nipple through the hole should insulate the shaft from banging around so it can't be the cause of the noise.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:17 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

This may not help you at all, but I had a clicking noise when cornering hard and thought it was either my tokicos or the new speakers i put on the rear deck. Then I was washing my car and noticed that my license plate was a little loose. It turned out that the clicking noise was the license plate moving back and forth. Before you try anything hardcore, check the screws holding your license plate on and make sure they are tight. Could be a simple fix, but you probably don't have the same problem.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:16 PM
760Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
I wasn't sure about reusing the old bushing but I took it off the old shock anyway, since you mentioned to reuse the bushing, and I was going to install it on the Tokico but then I noticed this...

The Tokico bushing DOES have a nipple that goes through the shock tower hole. DOH! I could've sworn it was just a flat hockey puck. Now I'm back to square one and wondering where the sound is coming from. That nipple through the hole should insulate the shaft from banging around so it can't be the cause of the noise.

Very strange. I know that mine certainly did not come with the bushings and had to reuse the stockers. One thing you may want to consider; I believe that bushing is supposed to go up from the bottom just like the stock shocks along with that curved washer, not down from the inside of the trunk. I very well may be incorrect and do not want to lead you into performing unneeded working time, but it's definitely worth considering.

It may also be worth a shot to see if the passenger side has one of those bushings on it as well. While those upper bolts are off, yank back and forth on the tops of the shocks and see if there is any movement in them.

Keep me posted, I know how bad that sound is :]
Old 01-31-2010, 11:29 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 760Mustang
Very strange. I know that mine certainly did not come with the bushings and had to reuse the stockers. One thing you may want to consider; I believe that bushing is supposed to go up from the bottom just like the stock shocks along with that curved washer, not down from the inside of the trunk. I very well may be incorrect and do not want to lead you into performing unneeded working time, but it's definitely worth considering.

It may also be worth a shot to see if the passenger side has one of those bushings on it as well. While those upper bolts are off, yank back and forth on the tops of the shocks and see if there is any movement in them.

Keep me posted, I know how bad that sound is :]

That rubber nipple in the picture is actually part of the lower bushing and it's coming up from the bottom. There's a lower washer/seat that the lower bushing sits on. The upper bushing and upper washer are in the correct place. I checked both sides and they're the same. I might have to look for another source of the noise.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I put new Koni Strt's on yesterday. Just the rears for now. Went for a quick test drive and i heard an occasional thunk. Might have just been some settling in because I havent heard it again on my 35 mile trip to work. I had to reuse all the OEM bushings as well. I guess none of the shocks out there come with bushings. Weird if you ask me.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:21 PM
760Mustang
2nd Gear Member

I'm at a loss then :/ I was foolish for believing that what happened to me would be the same case for you. Have somebody stand by a bump that you know the sound is constantly being made while going over and start from there. If you still can't find it and still think the shocks are the issue you can always have a shop reinstall them for minimal cost.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:52 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

I solved the clunking. It wasn't the Tokico's after all. I replaced my stock LCA's with a set of J&M Street/Race LCA's and the clunking I heard going over bumps is now gone.