Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank/gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 AM
FordEngineer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTJT2010
They referenced this PDF Ford Eng.
http://temp.kontrakarma.net/fuel_tank.pdf
Look, I'm not going to take up space on this board by making a bunch of posts arguing with Mustang club members. I'm relaying to you what was told to me by the fuel tank manufacturing engineers. Remember: I do electronics, not fuel systems, so they can say what they want about me. See above for the data I can give you.

You can come to your own conclusion, but the fact of the matter (going back to the original post ) is that you shouldn't run your car until it's completely out of gas, or aspirate the pumping system and cause it to lose its prime. As many have already said, some amount of 'safety' is normal, so don't be alarmed to find out you had a bit more gas 'in reserve' when you thought you were on Empty. That's normal.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:54 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Hey I hear ya, I'm on your side I appreciate any info, I agree and disagree when needed, but when comes from someone in the business I suck it in and make my own conclusions, most guys that I pasted comments on rip them done, put there own engines together all over the car and when come to 2010 and they tell mwe this and that, 2010 differs in ways, in example i always use, 4.6 3V same engine been around long time, the 2010 valve cover gaskets differ. from 2009? So i just take it all in, thanks again.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Crazy Stallion
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FordEngineer
Yes, this is normal behavior. It's the 'safety factor' that's built into gauge calibration. If your low fuel light hasn't turned on by the time you're on 'E', however, THAT is something I'd get checked out.
Good to know, thanks FordEngineer
Old 02-02-2010, 08:26 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by FordEngineer
Look, I'm not going to take up space on this board by making a bunch of posts arguing with Mustang club members. I'm relaying to you what was told to me by the fuel tank manufacturing engineers. Remember: I do electronics, not fuel systems, so they can say what they want about me. See above for the data I can give you.

You can come to your own conclusion, but the fact of the matter (going back to the original post ) is that you shouldn't run your car until it's completely out of gas, or aspirate the pumping system and cause it to lose its prime. As many have already said, some amount of 'safety' is normal, so don't be alarmed to find out you had a bit more gas 'in reserve' when you thought you were on Empty. That's normal.
I hope your not thinking I am arguing with you. I'm not, I just asked if the amount left in the tank when i hit empty on the gauge is normal.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

he was refering to guys in my club conterdicting what he said...my club members see those two fuel pumps but say one is a sensor one is a pump, it was my guys talking about....
Old 02-03-2010, 01:57 AM
itsokimapilot
1st Gear Member

For anyone that is reading this thread, determine your gas tank level before going beyond the "xx miles to empty" in your Mustang. I debated going beyond zero and refilled at 1 mile to empty. I put 15 1/2 gallons in my Mustang. If you go beyond zero miles to empty you may be a lot closer to walking than you may be led to believe.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:45 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

yeah you don't need a dry tank to prove anything, gave my son my park avenue, let gas get low, ran out, tried to re-crank when filling and burned pump out 750.00$
Old 02-03-2010, 05:15 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTJT2010
how's going 2010V6
Great looking Mustang! Was this pick taken in Apex near the Andy's?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:18 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by itsokimapilot
For anyone that is reading this thread, determine your gas tank level before going beyond the "xx miles to empty" in your Mustang. I debated going beyond zero and refilled at 1 mile to empty. I put 15 1/2 gallons in my Mustang. If you go beyond zero miles to empty you may be a lot closer to walking than you may be led to believe.
I refilled at 1 mile to empty before and still only got 13 gallons of gas in the car. The needle was at the bottom edge of the "Empty" line on the gauge. I was stuck in stop and go traffic on I-75 coming back from Atlanta and thought I was gonna be walking.....

I know that is a calculated value on the digital message center so who knows...
Old 02-03-2010, 06:29 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Yep at Andy's during capital cruisers cruise in, thanks, see ya around maybe.... are you a member heart of carolina mustang club , LOL maybe not if so you would know me!.....google HCMC Cary that the page

Quick Reply: Gas tank/gauge question