Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I getting old...or just crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:53 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

30 is not that old.....I wished I was 30 again, I'm 50 now.
I think you are just going through some mid-life crisis. Go buy some mods for your car....it will make you feel better.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:11 AM
replica
4th Gear Member

I sort of agree with you. I find the 300hp to be plenty for a daily driver. A mid 13 second car is enough to beat 80% of the cars on the road. Aside from a tune, I've spent all my mod money on suspension mods. Next up will be more sound deadening material and an in dash navi. I'd rather my Mustang be a poor man's "Touring" car than a muscle car.

I'm only 28.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:31 AM
bingo2
1st Gear Member

30 years old....I have socks older than that! I'll be 66 in April and after riding/racing high horsepower bikes for many, many years, this car felt a little flacid. The addition of the SC, even though it is only an M90, certainly helped. If the Roush "Hammer" was available when I was shopping, I'd be driving it now.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Regardless of age (im 41), the questions I had to ask myself when I got my GT convertible related to power were:

* How often am I gonna use 400 + horsepower if I buy a supercharger
* Am I really gonna get my money back out of the car after spending 5k+ on a supercharger.

The answers to both of those questions was no. When I travel to and from work I'm lucky if traffic ever gets past 75mph. Not only that but even running around town with speed limits averaging 45-55mph the only fun your gonna have is 0-60 if your lucky. Yeah, there are those days when you might get lucky and have light traffic but its not that often. So I just chose to mod my car with fun things like cams, 4.10 gearing and exhaust etc. My car is plenty 0-60 fast now and I already have problems with traction in second gear. I can't imagine having a blower. For those that can afford to drop that kind of coin thats great. For me it would be a waste of money where I live.

Plus, I lost my butt on resale after selling a couple Harleys I've had over the years after modding them and drowning them in chrome. I promised myself I'd never mod anything rediculously over market value again.

Maybe I gave ya something to think about.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

I find my 07 GT with a CAI and tune has plenty of power for me. I am 57. The cash is a factor. How often do I use my 315hp now? Almost never, I can't even go 75 on the way to work with a amount of cops around here, so a supercharger would just be a waste of money for me. Would I like to have the new 5.0 engine? You bet your a$$ I would, but I really don't care for the body and dash changes to the 2010 model. I put my car up in the winter, I fully intend on keeping it for a long, long time.

And, no, at 30 you aren't old. Hell, I'm not old.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:09 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

T, you probably just had a bad weekend. Do moth sets of mods and you wont be sorry. I know you from both forums and I know where u r coming from but you wont regret it.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 AM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

You are just having a 1/3 life crisis
Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 AM
7 UP Mustang
1st Gear Member

Gosh, it is funny hearing someone talking about 30 being old! I am over 70 years old and very proud to be the owner of two Mustang convertibles.

As I have said before, we love having fun cars, and do not want those crazy Grandpa cars! In your own mind you are never OLD, as the reference point keeps moving up as you get older. Now being old for me is my 80, 83, 85, and 88 year old brothers and sisters! YEP, they all drive those Grandpa cars, and do not know the thrill of driving a Mustang! We have the one V 6 and one V 8, 5.0 HP! The 5.0 sounds awesome, and I am wanting just a tab more sound from the V 6. To answer your question, you are not old or crazy, just growing up!
LARRY
Old 02-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

You're not old. I'm 34 (35 at the end of this month). You are just thinking like an adult-not like a kid. If you don't feel the need to spend mega-bucks on your car, don't. Remember this old adage I once read:

Growing old is mandatory;
Growing UP is optional.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Tylus - I wouldn't call what you're going through a case of either "feeling like you're getting old" or "going crazy".

More like coming to grips with the facts that (a) you really aren't immortal, and (b) that you really can get hurt playing with the grown-up toys.

BTW, treat any suspension tweaking with at least the same level of respect that you're looking at big power with. Things can go bad in a hurry no matter what the reason for tires losing grip might be, and the hard cornering bug can bite just as hard as the "need" for max acceleration.

PS, my wife had more trouble getting past the thought of turning 30 than any age either before or since. About half a lifetime ago.

Norm

Quick Reply: Am I getting old...or just crazy?