Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deployed Soldiers and the Mod bug?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default Deployed Soldiers and the Mod bug?

Well, curious to see how many of us are currently serving overseas and not capable of hoppin' in our ponies, or those of us who are seeking to buy a new pony when we get back...

I have been very good, I must say. I know people that have lists of car goodies waiting for them to get home and put them on. I am instead trying to finish off my loan and get that out of the way...

With that said, i'm really itching for the 2011. I think I will keep my 2006, but I reeeally would like to see that 5.0 under the hood. My 2006 is for the most part pretty simple, not many mods but I think some new wheels and tires (been battling myself over this for some time) and a dvd/navigation unit are in order...

So the question is, am I alone here?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:22 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I too had the mod bug when I deployed last March. When I returned I ended up getting new wheels, tires shocks and struts. I think I changed my mind about ten times deciding on wheels and tires.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Well, it bit me. I hope I made a wise choice.

I was eyeing the Eclipse AVN726E DVD/Navigation for a while. Crutchfield says it's a very good unit, and they are getting discontinued because apparently Eclipse is getting away from US sales or something... Anyway, the unit was going for $800.

Free Shipping, Free Dash Kit, and $65 for the wiring... They said my car needed the [ PAC Ford Radio Replacement Interface Allows aftermarket radio installation in select 2005-up Ford-built vehicles (model C2R-FRD1)] To allow for my shaker 1000 to work properly.

So the total price is ...
Order Total: $864.98

I have never owned a DVD/Nav but I have always wanted to. Couple questions, how can I alter it to make it play DVDs on the move? Long trips, it'll make passengers happy... Also, is it easy to install? When I get home I plan on installing this so I don't want this to be a 5 day venture with a lot of frustration and breaking things. I have never installed any electrical components. I'm good with mechanics, just not electronics... lol.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

What tires/wheels did you go with Gman? I found the wheels I want, but they don't make them for our car. So I think I'll have to go with the chrome dd bullitts, but haven't decided. I need new tires, so I'll make that decision the closer I get to going home... which won't be till November time frame.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:53 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I ended up going with the FR500. I get a lot of compliments on them. People say they are played out, but I haven't seen anyother mustang in person with them.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:33 PM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

leaving in 3 weeks for Anaconda, iraq.......
Old 02-02-2010, 06:36 PM
mwinter501
1st Gear Member

Enjoy Anaconda, I went through there twice to help the supply guys. Be sure to check out the movie theater and swimming pool. I was glad I was not stationed there though. I wouldn't have been able to save any money.

Last edited by mwinter501; 02-02-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:37 PM
07gtdude
2nd Gear Member

been to anaconda in 2003 whyask! best of luck to you and god bless. I here its actually real nice now, well for iraq anyway, lol. and I bet you won't be getting mortared everyday like I was. should be a little calmer for you...

I got my gt as a coming home present from the wife. I immediately bought my rims and slp exhaust the next day with the deployment money I saved.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 PM
mwinter501
1st Gear Member

I passed through there in 07 and I kept hearing that automated message over the speakers: "there has been an indirect attack on the FOB..." but I never actually witnessed anything there. I spent all of my time on FOB Iskan which housed a power plant so they never really messed with us there. I got mortared and rocketed every time I was on FOB Kalsu though.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:31 PM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

I just got back about 3 weeks ago from 12 months in Afghanistan... I'm pretty hard core about my ride so I dropped a fair amount into it. New shifter, new rear gears, rims, tires, rear gears, new tune...and then when I got home I started doing custom airbrush work on the underhood stuffs. All in all I think I dropped about 3.5K.

If any of ya'll want some custom airbrush work on your engine dress up I'll give you an AMAZING deal! Especially if you're from FT Drum (that's where I am).

Quick Reply: Deployed Soldiers and the Mod bug?