Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Rotten Rat

Default Auto vs. Manual

Hey Gang,

Planning on purchasing an '06 GT. However, I have a couple questions. I have to purchase an automatic so I'm wondering: How does the Auto perform vs. the Manual? Is there a huge gap in performance? Secondly, any thoughts on the auto's reliability if mod'ed?

Thanks,

Aaron
Old 07-25-2005, 03:07 PM
JC74
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Auto vs. Manual

I'm not sure what mods your planning, but shouldn't really matter. I test drove an automatic while I was waiting for my manual. All I can say is wow, what a smooth transmission.

About the only mod you won't be able to do is the tri-ax shifter..lol.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Old 07-25-2005, 03:14 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

I have read in various places that the autos make a little less HP than the manual tranny cars. Just get a tune...it will help
Old 07-25-2005, 03:33 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

Mine is auto and just like any other it will rob a few more horses. A tune is neccesary in my opinion to optimize shift points, firmness, etc. It's still a blast and much better for my commute to work in traffic.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:45 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Here we go again. I hope this does not start yet another auto vs. manual war. Before I ordered mine I test drove both. The 5 speed auto in the 05 Mustang is excelent. With a tuner like the Diablosport Predator you can also make adjustemts to the transmision if you don't like how it behaves. Gone are the days of droppng the pan, removing the valve body, drilling holes in a seperator plate, changing springs and valves, ect.
In terms of performance, in stock form the auto is only a couple of tenths slower in the 1/4 mile than the manual and that probably has more to do with the fact that the auto equipped cars come with a 3.31 ratio where the manuals come with a 3.55 ratio.
It's really a matter of your personal preference. They are both very good.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:57 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 281GT

Here we go again. I hope this does not start yet another auto vs. manual war. Before I ordered mine I test drove both. The 5 speed auto in the 05 Mustang is excelent. With a tuner like the Diablosport Predator you can also make adjustemts to the transmision if you don't like how it behaves. Gone are the days of droppng the pan, removing the valve body, drilling holes in a seperator plate, changing springs and valves, ect.
In terms of performance, in stock form the auto is only a couple of tenths slower in the 1/4 mile than the manual and that probably has more to do with the fact that the auto equipped cars come with a 3.31 ratio where the manuals come with a 3.55 ratio.
It's really a matter of your personal preference. They are both very good.
Well put. I don't think you have any arguement with that.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Richard6669
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the Forums. I was the one who started the manual vs. automatic war DROCKOFTX was reffering to. It has good information https://mustangforums.com/m_535525/tm.htm... personally i drive an automatic because its more convienant in Houston. lots of traffic. However Auto is more expensive, less horsepower, and according to many not as fun to drive. It obviously is less stressful when your sitting in traffic. I have heard that the automatic is just as fast as the manual because the automatic shifts faster. Another thing ive heard is that the automatic cant handle as much horsepower as manual if you plan on doing aftermarket mods. I am no expert but i can assure you, you will be happy whichever way you go. Both are great.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Rotten Rat

Didn't mean to bring up a sore subject.

It's just that I'm only able to drive automatics and assumed all the performance results shown in magazines would be with the manual to "improve" the numbers. Just wanted some real world feedback. Thanks again all.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:19 PM
ese

Well automatics are nicer if you have a lot of stop and go traffic. or if you're one of those horrible people that likes to eat, talk on the cell phone, and comb your hair all at the same time while driving. But this is a sports car, so manuals just make it that much more fun.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

wtf? Autos can handle MORE HP, not less.

They are def. easier, but also less fun.

I'd rathe rhave an auto 80% of the time I'm in my car.... It's only that 20% that you go, damn, I wish I had a manual.

Quick Reply: Auto vs. Manual