Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review your high lift cams here. (Long Time or New owners)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:13 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by modaddict
Yep, bear in mind that all of comp's cams for the 3V actually only vary by slight differences. There is no major differences, only subtle - due to to the available profiles of the stock heads.

You are misinformed or being lied to. That, or you are believing twisted mag and advertising hype. No cam out there for the S197 is going to bolt on 70 hp on it's own without supporting mods and tunes. 90% of the time you hear or read about dyno gains from mods - they neglect to mention the changing in the tuning and supporting mods. The changes in the tuning are a big one. Throw a boat load of timing in the tune for the pull - and instant 50 rwhp... I've watched guys do this for articles in person. Run the car at 10.2 a/f with 6º of timing, put the mod on and then run 12.5 a/f with 24º of timing.

Just take claims of HP gains with a grain of salt is all I'm saying. The simple truth is that cams are a waste of time performance wise for anybody who is pushing less than 600 rwhp and wanting to spin the car past 7 grand. The only exception to this would be a high compression N/A car - but even that scenario would want the car spinning in the 8 grand range.

For your average bolt-on guys - the stock sticks and your stock intake are more than up to the task of everything you can throw at it.

Now if someone wants cams for 'sound' - then that's another story - but it is not a good mod for performance when comparing dollars to donuts. FYI: I was faster than any other S197 member on this forum when I had the stock cams. I did not get into my cams and intake until I breached 750 rwhp.

Usualy I think Brenspeed provides good info. Its pretty obvious to say that if you put a agressive cam in you are going to be doing a tune also, so I think that point makes no difference.

http://www.brenspeed.com/127550.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQi6r...layer_embedded

they stand behind there statement, not saying you dont bring up valid points as well, but seriously it seems like your going out of your way to show how much you know on the subject while not actualy giving any info geard to the intent of the thread.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Im a fan of the stock sticks too.

The drivability of the cams has more to do with the tune. Lots of people with them and depending how good their tuner is depends on how good their car drives.

Sometimes they change vacuum level also which can foul up your bypass valve operation.