Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

add SYNC to 2011 base model

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 03:27 AM
redrocks

One other point on my upgrade--I did a little checking of the sync kit wiring harness with a voltmeter, and didn't find any connection between the single red power lead and the sync module connector. It seems that this lead only sends power to the HID. The sync module gets power from the head unit connectors. Since I wasn't using the HID, I just left the red power lead unconnected. This hasn't caused any problems--everything works.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:55 PM
redrocks

Another note in case someone else wants to try this mod (this thread is the best discussion I've seen on it).

Regarding the single red power lead from the sync kit harness, I decided to go back and remove mine since its unused, but did more voltage checks in my "as installed" condition (rest of the system is powered, but this lead is disconnected). I found that this lead is somehow grounded! I suspect this is through the ACM connector, but didn't dig into it. So if I had tried to connect it to power it would have been shorted, and the 1 amp inline fuse should have blown immediately. I assume this is due to pin assignment changes between '09 and '10, and not a defect in my kit harness.

hdvalente, if you still read here, if you connected this lead to power, is your inline fuse blown? When you were playing with the HMI, did the button lights work?

Passing this on as a "note of caution"--suggest that anyone considering this mod to 2010+ cars only do it as described here: used OEM sync module, steering wheel controls, and OEM autodim mirror with mike, not the "kit" module and HMI. And don't connect the single red power lead in the kit harness to avoid a short.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:57 AM
45ANNGT

Originally Posted by redrocks
Another note in case someone else wants to try this mod (this thread is the best discussion I've seen on it).

Regarding the single red power lead from the sync kit harness, I decided to go back and remove mine since its unused, but did more voltage checks in my "as installed" condition (rest of the system is powered, but this lead is disconnected). I found that this lead is somehow grounded! I suspect this is through the ACM connector, but didn't dig into it. So if I had tried to connect it to power it would have been shorted, and the 1 amp inline fuse should have blown immediately. I assume this is due to pin assignment changes between '09 and '10, and not a defect in my kit harness.

hdvalente, if you still read here, if you connected this lead to power, is your inline fuse blown? When you were playing with the HMI, did the button lights work?

Passing this on as a "note of caution"--suggest that anyone considering this mod to 2010+ cars only do it as described here: used OEM sync module, steering wheel controls, and OEM autodim mirror with mike, not the "kit" module and HMI. And don't connect the single red power lead in the kit harness to avoid a short.
I installed the 09 kit on my 2011 mustang. Also connected that red fused wire to power when key is in the on position. I followed the instructions and this thread and had no issues. You have to cut the wires for the keypad and you have to add 2 wires to the steering wheel and connect them to the 2 harness wires. I had no issues.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 AM
redrocks

Originally Posted by 45ANNGT
I installed the 09 kit on my 2011 mustang. Also connected that red fused wire to power when key is in the on position. I followed the instructions and this thread and had no issues. You have to cut the wires for the keypad and you have to add 2 wires to the steering wheel and connect them to the 2 harness wires. I had no issues.
Right, I think that will work fine, but that the fuse in the single red line will blow, and that you otherwise won't notice. Have you checked that fuse?
Old 04-26-2014, 08:59 PM
crazietj

I'm in the process of doing this to a base gt
Old 04-30-2014, 12:09 PM
crazietj

So I have the sync module from a 13. I have the overhead light with the sync mic in it. I still need to get the main harness and the harness for the mic. I forgot to mention this is going into a 2010 base gt. I already have the gt500 steering wheel and the shaker acm. Anyone have the part numbers for the headliner harness? Or is it the same as the mirror one? And is there a main harness or do I need to buy the 09 sync add on kit?

thanks
Old 05-01-2014, 06:17 AM
awoychosky123

Im selling the part your looking for on ebay right now because I bought a spare from ford check it out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171304916549...84.m1555.l2649

as for the main harness everything that you needed for basic functionality should have came in the 2009 kit so I believe you are going to have to get the sync kit for the 2009 for $63.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-STOCK-FACTORY-FORD-SYNC-HANDS-FREE-BLUETOOTH-PHONE-VOICE-KIT-/251219233257?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMustang&hash=item3a7dd549e9&vxp=mtr
Good luck
Old 05-01-2014, 11:33 PM
crazietj

Originally Posted by awoychosky123
Im selling the part your looking for on ebay right now because I bought a spare from ford check it out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/171304916549...84.m1555.l2649

as for the main harness everything that you needed for basic functionality should have came in the 2009 kit so I believe you are going to have to get the sync kit for the 2009 for $63.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-STOCK-FACTORY-FORD-SYNC-HANDS-FREE-BLUETOOTH-PHONE-VOICE-KIT-/251219233257?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMustang&hash=item3a7dd549e9&vxp=mtr
Good luck
I'm interested in the harness.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:36 AM
awoychosky123

Well its cheaper than going to the dealership for it they charged me $45 dollars for it and im selling it for $35 Brand new never used.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:49 PM
crazietj

Originally Posted by awoychosky123
Well its cheaper than going to the dealership for it they charged me $45 dollars for it and im selling it for $35 Brand new never used.
Your plugs are different then the overhead light setup. I'll just have to make a new harness for it. Thanks though

Quick Reply: add SYNC to 2011 base model