Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying my first Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:16 AM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CB617
There are many factors to consider. I generally try to put down as much as I can on a car. That said I would never put all my money down unless I had to. Keep some back for a possible surprise repair. Take say $500 to $1000 if you can and put it in the bank. If you are like me ,when I was 20, you would then take the money out of the bank and spend it on mods. If you are going to do that you might as well just put it all down. I also like to have a payment or two in the bank incase of emergency. Do you have enough for insurance in addition to the 4K. If you are not sure you can put down the minimum and make a large payment later. I am not sure if this is what you were looking for, but I hope it helps.
+1. Deff have some money in the reserve for emergencies. And shop around for financing. Tell guy B what guy A is offering insurance wise and see if they can match it or even give you a better deal. Good Luck
Old 02-08-2010, 10:40 AM
MUFC 18

Grab a line of credit instead of a loan. That way if your say 6 months into your "loan" and an emergency happens, the money that you've paid towards the loan is available again so you can reborrow it to fix the car with no penalties. Also this can allow you to put the full amount towards the down payment. Plus having a line of credit is always nice once you have the car payed off.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matafy
Color doesn't matter to me. I'm going to get it painted screaming yellow. And as for the v8, I know the difference. I just don't have the money. When I can buy my Mustang cash then I'll skip the GT and go Shelby.
Painting is not cheap. You will dish out a lot of $$. I would wait for a screaming yellow or if you like grabber orange, those are easier to find in v6. That car has a bit of mileage on it already to do something big like that. IMO, if you're going to repaint, save that money for a GT instead!! In yellow!!

Edit: didn't see your post about having someone paint it for you, but that is a lot of shock on your car to repaint.

Last edited by alkemist; 02-08-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Matafy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Painting is not cheap. You will dish out a lot of $$. I would wait for a screaming yellow or if you like grabber orange, those are easier to find in v6. That car has a bit of mileage on it already to do something big like that. IMO, if you're going to repaint, save that money for a GT instead!! In yellow!!

Edit: didn't see your post about having someone paint it for you, but that is a lot of shock on your car to repaint.
What do you mean by shock?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:35 PM
ZoomyX
1st Gear Member

I just have a couple questions.

The stang I want is $9,490.00 without taxes etc. I have 4 grand that I could put as down payment. Should I put that much down? Or just the minimum. What will be better in the long run? Feel free to ask me questions.
My first s197 mustang was a v6 and I regretted it for 5 years. I finally now have my GT and it is a world of difference. If it is at all financially possible look into getting into a GT.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:42 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

GT's aren't much more. Maybe $12,000-$13,000 on the cheap end? No point spending a penny on something you'll possibly hate later on.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Frantz
2nd Gear Member

Eh... the GT is the way to go if you're gonna ever want to race anyone.. but there is something to be said for a simple 6 banger (though I admit I'm still a Rambler guy at heart). Make sure the repaint is not just a quick job.. it will lower the value of the car if the engine bay and other "hidden areas" aren't the same color, looks like there was damage at some point.

I agree with the financing the whole thing if you can and paying off a big chunk when you have the extra money.. also strech it out as long as possible while keeping the same interest rate (ie.. if 60 mo and 72 mo have the same rate go 72). The reason is you have more leg room if you get in a bind. Make sure you pay at the 60 mo schedual and in the end you'll have the car paid off without paying extra interest, but that extra breathing room can come in handy if you're hand to mouth at the moment.

And how to get a deal? find another car at another dealership for less, you don't have to want it and it doesn't have to be a mustang or a compariable model even. When the sales guy calls you next tell him your looking at it (and make up a reason why its so awesome) and like the lower price. point out that being a v6 it doesn't really matter too much how sporty the car is. give him your offer. It wouldn't hurt to play hard ball and say... "if you could sell it for $8k I could come in this afternoon" or something like that and see what the counter offer is. Dealerships will lose money on a car if there is a great risk at losing more by not selling it. They have to move vehicles, not make huge profits on each one.

-former Chyrsler sales guy (if you can sell a chrysler in 2008, you can sell anything!)
Old 02-08-2010, 05:51 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

What do you mean by shock?
You have to consider you are stripping off all the paint on your car and putting on a new coat. Any mishap in the painting or a poor paint job (not implying anything here) can lead to massive problems in the future. I can't remember the name of the member (sorry I know who you are though) but that fixed a paint scratch and ended up having to redo his whole car. I would stick with factory paint.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:45 PM
thailand
1st Gear Member

Just a thought, try a local credit union. They usually have the best rates...usually. I got an auto draft when I bought my GT. Basically a blank check with a limit, but dealers kinda look at it as cash on hand. Makes negotiation much easier.

Also, check out bankrate or the edmunds auto loan calculator. It'll give you a good idea of what your payments will be after taxes, title, and tags.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM
thailand
1st Gear Member

Oh, and a paint job will basically take all the money you want to put down...