MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Stock H.I.D.'s not very bright (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/585306-stock-h-i-d-s-not-very-bright.html)

chim-chim7 02-08-2010 12:31 AM

Stock H.I.D.'s not very bright

Hello all. This is my first post. I just bought a used Mustang GT 2008. I have been wanting one for so long, and now life is good. I do have one concern and I was interested in knowing if anyone else has a similar condition. I used the search feature first but could not find an answer to my question.

My Stang came with the factory HID's. They are not very bright at all, not like other HID's I see, and definitely not as bright as my old RX-8 headlights.
I usually have to drive with the fogs on because they seem so dim. They have a cap that goes over the front that is not removable. Is there a replacement HID bulb I can buy that is brighter. I live on dark roads, and my wife sometimes drives the car. The stock non HID headlights on my 2008 F-250 are much brighter than Mustangs. BTW, this car is simply amazing.:icon_banana:

DamnItzHenry 02-08-2010 12:55 AM

You could easily find an aftermarket bulb replacement kit for like $20 on ebay, but one main concern is being able to find a kit that matches the wire correctly. Different companies use different wiring harnesses

chim-chim7 02-08-2010 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by DamnItzHenry (Post 6802207)
You could easily find an aftermarket bulb replacement kit for like $20 on ebay, but one main concern is being able to find a kit that matches the wire correctly. Different companies use different wiring harnesses

Yes, happy to know that they wont cost a bundle. Should I be concerned about quality buying something so cheap? I am kinda hoping someone will chime in that has factory HID's and replaced just the bulbs.

SpeedingBullitt 02-08-2010 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by chim-chim7 (Post 6802149)
Hello all. This is my first post. I just bought a used Mustang GT 2008. I have been wanting one for so long, and now life is good. I do have one concern and I was interested in knowing if anyone else has a similar condition. I used the search feature first but could not find an answer to my question.

My Stang came with the factory HID's. They are not very bright at all, not like other HID's I see, and definitely not as bright as my old RX-8 headlights.
I usually have to drive with the fogs on because they seem so dim. They have a cap that goes over the front that is not removable. Is there a replacement HID bulb I can buy that is brighter. I live on dark roads, and my wife sometimes drives the car. The stock non HID headlights on my 2008 F-250 are much brighter than Mustangs. BTW, this car is simply amazing.:icon_banana:

Hi, Just a quick heads up on your lights. Ive had the same problem. Battery just died in my car and I ended up replacing it with a higher rated battery and the problem is gone. My orignal battery had a bad cell and my lights were kind of dim to the point I couldnt tell if they were on or not unless I was up close to something but after getting the new battery they are bright as hell and im happy to be able to see clearly again.:icon_snow:

deekum1627 02-08-2010 11:44 AM

welcome and congrats on the stang. my factory hid's are bright

sp44 02-14-2010 03:37 PM

If you compare to other stock HID's the Mustang ones are not as bright for some reason. My neighbors have Acura's and they are much brighter.

07BLACKGT 02-14-2010 03:48 PM

I'll switch headlights with you.

Then you could buy aftermarket HID bulbs and throw em in my stock headlights. :)

TPony 02-14-2010 08:32 PM

Welcome to MF!

8178A 02-14-2010 08:36 PM

My 2009 HIDs are super bright!

Nuke 02-14-2010 08:42 PM

Although I doubt that the battery is the issue, check your battery voltage before and after you start your car. Battery voltage should increase to 13+ volts with the engine running regardles of the battery condition (unless the battery has shorted big time internally at which point it shouldn't even start the car). If it's not that I'd try different bulbs.