Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 12:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Who Has an Aftermarket Stereo and Still Has Sync Control?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:20 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Default Who Has an Aftermarket Stereo and Still Has Sync Control?

Alright, I'm getting ready to replace my Shaker 500 system in my car with an aftermarket double din stereo with Navigation (probably on of the Kenwoods since they have the Garmin interface). I want to still keep the Sync functionality though so I'm hoping to hear from anyone who's done this and still has full control of Sync.

The Metra kit is out there that will convert my console to a double din and connects to the factory wiring harness for the stereo.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.ph...cat=0&page=271

There's also a Sync wiring harness that will allow you to keep Sync functionality. It will also allow you to keep your steering wheel controls.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=14347

What I don't know is how these go together, and how they interact with the stereo that is installed (aftermarket).

On the Metra kit, the top screen displays the Sync text so I'm guessing that there's a way for them to talk to each other.

Anybody know how this works?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:02 AM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Looks like you are going to be the trail blazer (or genie pig) dude. Let us know how it works out.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:29 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

I most definitely will.... I just hope that after buying these different interfaces that they all play well together. I'd hate for it to be a waste of money ya know? I know that they are SUPPOSED to work together, but finding someone how knows exactly how they are all supposed to be connected is another thing. Not many people know the inner workings of Sync, so we will see how this all turns out. Wish me luck!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:37 AM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

subscribed
Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 AM
cmanatam

Please note every detail of your experience cuz I am planning a similar install. I think i'm going to use the Scosche kit when I pull the trigger. Good luck and take lots of pics!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmanatam
Please note every detail of your experience cuz I am planning a similar install. I think i'm going to use the Scosche kit when I pull the trigger. Good luck and take lots of pics!
This....Be sure it's SUPER detailed so we can sticky this for others who want to do the swap....I plan on doing this as well one day!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:41 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

No pressure Dave,.... No pressure at all!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
No pressure Dave,.... No pressure at all!
Old 02-10-2010, 03:52 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

No pressure! Got it!

After researching this a bit further since I plan on doing this I found out that the Dash Kit / Harness from Metra still isn't available. I called Metra and talked to them and they said the kit won't be out for a few more weeks. So, if you see this kit on someone's website, they don't really have it. They're just taking orders and will end up shipping it to you when they get them in.

The way I see this process is this..... I can get the aftermarket stereo (nav, bluetooth, etc.) installed and will definitely benefit from that because that is better than the factory Shaker 500. I'm betting Sync will work if I get the necessary adaptors (the one I linked to above), but if it doesn't it shouldn't be long before the issue is resolved.

So what might happen is that I have an aftermarket stereo and Sync will be disabled for a while. But, I hope that doesn't happen.

It might just boil down to whoever the installer is and how much he/she understands the entire process and how they should work together. From what I've gathered so far, NOBODY knows a lot about Sync.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Since SYNC is most a Microsoft construct, would it help to contact Microsoft with any questions you have?

Quick Reply: Who Has an Aftermarket Stereo and Still Has Sync Control?